Women’s Soccer head coach Sue Ryan relieved of her coaching duties

Stony Brook Women’s Soccer head coach Sue Ryan was relieved of her coaching duties on Friday, effective immediately, according to a Stony Brook Athletics news release.

“Sue has been an integral part of the Stony Brook athletics family for many years, and her contributions to our school and to the sport of soccer have been significant,” Athletic Director Shawn Heilbron said in the news release. “She helped pave the way as Stony Brook transitioned from Division III to Division I and leaves a lasting legacy on our entire program. While I appreciate her dedicated efforts in support of our student-athletes, I felt that a change in leadership was necessary in order for us to achieve the high aspirations that we have as a department.”

The women’s soccer team’s 2015 season ended last week in a 1-0 home loss to UMBC, making this the second consecutive season in which Ryan’s team missed out on an America East Tournament berth.

Ryan has coached the women’s soccer team for 31 years, during which the team became Stony Brook’s first to move from Div. III to Div. I.

The height of her tenure was a 2012 trip to the NCAA Women’s College Cup after entering the America East Tournament as the No. 6 seed. Ryan has amassed 229 wins over her tenure and led her squad to six America East Tournament berths in seven seasons from 2007 to 2013. Her final record as a head coach stands at 229-286-54 all-time and 109-137-34 since joining Div. I.

Stony Brook will begin searching for Ryan’s replacement immediately.