Fraternity hosts bike-a-thon to raise awareness of disabilities

The Stony Brook University chapter of the fraternity Pi Kappa Phi hosted their first outdoor charity event, a bike-a-thon, to raise awareness for people with disabilities on Oct. 15.

Members took turns cycling on stationary bikes to raise money to donate to the charity. Stationary bikes were set up under a tent outside of the Student Activities Center with members riding at all times during the day.

Students rallied together around the SAC to support the fraternity members at this event. The team surpassed their goal of $500 with a grand total of $640.

“This event was organized to spread awareness of our philanthropic organization, the Ability Experience, and to make a presence on campus, and that’s exactly what we did,” Pornprom Tauthong, a member of Pi Kappa Phi, said.

In 1977, the fraternity founded the Ability Experience, which is a nonprofit organization that helps people with disabilities.

Similar events involving the Ability Experience include “Journey of Hope” and “Build America.” Journey of Hope participants bike across the country making pit stops along the way to assist disabled people. For Build America, a team travels for six weeks throughout the country to promote accessible recreations for people with disabilities.

Participants in these events help build accessible amenities, such as special docks so the disabled can fish, accessible ramps, accessible rock climbing walls and more.

“We’re just here to help people who do not have the ability to do things that an average person can do,” Nick Gallagher, the philanthropy chairman of the Stony Brook chapter of Pi Kappa Phi, said. “Our organization really strives to help disabled children live a normal life.”