Seawolves extend win streak to three with win at UMass Lowell

The Seawolves now have won three matches in a row, and grow their America East record to 2-0 after a slow start to their regular season. CHRISTOPHER CAMERON / THE STATESMAN

After opening the 2015 season with a disappointing 3-12 record against non-conference opponents, the Stony Brook volleyball team is now turning a corner. The Seawolves swept the UMass Lowell River Hawks on Sunday afternoon for their third consecutive straight-set victory.

Stony Brook won the road match 25-21, 27-25, 25-15, bringing its America East record to 2-0.

In the second set, the River Hawks had a set point opportunity leading 24-23, but it was fended off by the Seawolves when sophomore outside hitter Melann Amory scored a kill to tie the set at 24-24.

Three points later, with Stony Brook up 26-25, UMass Lowell freshman middle blocker Lade Adeniyi was forced into an error, giving the Seawolves a 2-0 lead.

What was squandered ended up being the River Hawks’ best chance to win a set all match, as the Seawolves came out in the third set and stepped on the home team’s throat.

Stony Brook asserted themselves early in the third set with a 10-1 run on the serves of Amory and sophomore defensive specialist Dani Nizich. The Seawolves pulled away and took home another impressive conference victory.

With freshman setter Morgan Kath out with a left leg injury, senior Nicole Vogel stepped into the role and played brilliantly. Vogel recorded 33 assists and a season-high 16 digs in the match. Her setting allowed Stony Brook to have an attack percentage of .218, the team’s third straight game over .200.

Senior outside hitter Kathy Fletcher had a match-high 12 kills, including one on set point in the first set. Fletcher added 11 digs on the defensive end for a double-double.

Freshman middle blocker McKyla Brooks continued her torrid efficiency, spiking home 10 kills with just one error for an attack percentage of .562. Brooks’ seasonal attack percentage is now .307, which leads the America East.

Amory and senior middle blocker Stephanie McFadden added seven kills apiece. McFadden served three aces in the match. McFadden is the conference leader in serving, recording 0.61 aces per set this season.

Junior middle blocker Elima Ahzi had nine kills for the River Hawks, who are now 0-2 in the America East. Freshman libero Lindsey Visvardis was spectacular defensively, recording a match-high 21 digs.

Stony Brook’s next match will be back home at Pritchard Gymnasium, where they host Binghamton on Friday, Oct. 9 at 7:00 p.m.

The Seawolves split the season series with the Bearcats last year, with each team winning at home in four sets.