Last minute goal lifts Men’s Soccer over FDU

An 87th minute tie-breaking goal by sophomore forward Vince Erdei catapulted the Stony Brook men’s soccer team to a 2-1 win over Fairleigh Dickinson at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Sunday night.

The win marks the third time in Stony Brook’s last four games that the team has either won or tied, as they are 2-1-1, making the Seawolves’ record 3-4-2.

The Seawolves did not lead at any point during the game prior to Erdei’s goal. The Knights took the early lead in the 27th minute off of a penalty kick from freshman forward Javen Palmer.

However, the lead lasted for only 17 minutes. Junior defender Kofi Osei-Tutu passed the ball to senior midfielder Martin Giordano, who scored the equalizer to even the score at one goal apiece just seconds before halftime.

Stony Brook dominated throughout much of the time the two teams were tied. The Seawolves had eight shots on goal and 21 total shots during the game while Fairleigh Dickinson managed only two shots on goal and five total.

As the clock ticked down, Erdei scored in the 87th minute and gave the Seawolves the eventual victory.

Erdei has been instrumental to Stony Brook’s success in its last four games. The sophomore has scored a goal in each of those games. All other Seawolves players combined have only sent two into the back of the net.

Stony Brook will look for another win when the Seawolves open up their America East schedule at home on Saturday at 7 p.m. against arch-rival Albany.