Seawolves defeat Fordham in final non-conference test

Stephanie McFadden (above, No. 5)
Stephanie McFadden (above, No. 5), pictured here on Sept. 18 vs. Army, along with Kathy Fletcher and McKyla Brooks, led the team with nine kills in Tuesday’s away game against Fordham. ERIC SCHMID/THE STATESMAN. 

It was an uplifting day for Stony Brook Volleyball, as the Seawolves stormed past Fordham in three straight sets, 25-20, 25-18, 25-22.

Senior middle blocker Stephanie McFadden and outside hitter Kathy Fletcher were very influential in tonight’s game, with each recording nine kills. Freshman McKyla Brooks, who was announced as the America East Rookie of the Week on Sept. 8, continued her high-level of play in tonight’s game as well, scoring the same number of kills as her senior counterparts.

The Seawolves jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the first set and did not look back, holding onto the advantage throughout the set.

The second set started back and forth, with the teams splitting the first ten points to a five-all tie. Stony Brook then used a quick two-point spurt to pull out a lead, and would not look back as the Seawolves gradually pulled away from the Rams for the seven-point victory.

The final set had Fordham staked to a 10-7 lead, but when the score hit 13-11, Seawolves head coach Coley Pawlikowski called a timeout and motivated her team to the tune of an eight-point response to take a commanding 19-13 lead. This put Stony Brook into cruise control as the Seawolves notched the three-set victory.

With another win behind them, the Seawolves, who now hold a 4-12 record in non-conference games, now have a pressure-packed second half of the season with six straight conference games ahead of them.

Stony Brook does have a lot of encouragement, however. The Seawolves faced a Fordham team that had over double their winning percentage and won in three straight sets, plus they never saw themselves trailing by anything more than three points. The Seawolves have bounced back after losing six in a row to winning two of their last three.

Stony Brook is looking forward to its first home conference match this Friday at 7 p.m. versus a UMBC team that has had trouble winning on the road so far, going 1-3 in away matches, along with a 2-3 record in matches played on a neutral court.