Men’s soccer losing streak extends to three

ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN
“I thought we were better based off of the statistics,” SBU head coach Ryan Anatol said following the loss against Harvard on Sunday. The Seawolves are now 1-3-1 on the season. ARACELY JIMENEZ/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook men’s soccer took on a tough Harvard team at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium Sunday evening, losing its third straight contest, 2-1.

“I thought we were better based off of the statistics. We controlled the first half of the game and in the second half came on strong. I thought we dominated the game tonight, just came out with a tough loss,” SBU head coach Ryan Anatol said following the loss.

Harvard took the lead early with a header off a throw-in from junior defender Philip Fleischman in the 26th minute of the game.

“We knew throw-ins were one of their strengths, so it was tough seeing them score off of one of those,” Anatol said.

Stony Brook re-focused at the halftime break.

“I told them to stay patient. I continued to tell them that we were outplaying them, told us to keep working and good things will come,” Anatol said of his halftime speech to the team.

With that speech in mind, it was only a matter of time before Stony Brook tied the game up. In the pouring rain, senior midfielder Martin Giordano finished a cross in the 76th minute.

“[Alejandro] Fritz drove up the left side, slipped it through to Duval, who sent a great cross behind the defenders and right onto my foot. I knew I had to finish,” Giordano said.

The game-winner, however, was scored by Harvard senior Jake Freeman in the 81st minute with a left-footed shot from the top of the box to secure the win for Harvard.

Stony Brook did have plenty of opportunities throughout the game. Sophomore forward Vince Erdei’s hustle throughout the game helped build up momentum for Stony Brook.

“I thought Vince played well. He worked hard and inspired the other players to keep working until you see the result,” Anatol said.

Even with the team in a bit of a slump, losing three straight, Giordano seems positive through it all.

“All we have to do is stay positive. It’s easy to sulk when you go down in a game, but that’s not who we are. We’ll stay positive and keep our heads up for the next game,” the midfielder said.

The Seawolves are now 1-3-1 on the season, and will be playing Marist at home on Wednesday, Sept. 16.

“As long as we focus in the moment, eliminate the mistakes, and create and finish chances, we’ll be good to go,” Anatol said.