Volleyball drops first two at LBSU/LMU Mizuno Invite

Stony Brook volleyball lost a pair of matches on Saturday at the LBSU/LMU Mizuno Invitational held at Loyola Marymount University.

The Seawolves lost their first match to Oakland in five sets and their second to Central Arkansas in four.

In the latter match, the Seawolves lost their first set handily, 25-19. They lost the following set as well, but it was much closer as they lost by just two points. Stony Brook continued to improve in the following set, which they won 26-24, but lost the final set by two points to seal their fate for the day.

Despite the loss, freshman outside hitter, McKyla Brooks, recorded another impressive performance. She had nine kills on a .467 hitting percentage. Sophomore outside hitter, Melann Armory, also played well, leading the team with 13 kills on a .303 hitting percentage.

In the earlier matchup with Oakland, Stony Brook was again routed in their first set 25-17. However, they bounced back to win their next set 26-24. They carried this momentum into the next set, winning 25-23, putting Stony Brook one set away from splitting the day with a win and a loss.

Even with this lead, Stony Brook was ultimately unable to capitalize. Oakland bounced back to win the final two sets by scores of 25-16 and 18-16.

Senior outside hitter, Kathy Fletcher, and freshman middle blocker, Taylor Wilson, both tied for the team lead in kills this match with 13. Freshman setter, Morgan Kath, aided these two stars, as she recorded 42 assists throughout the match.

With the pair of losses, Stony Brook now falls to 2-8 on the season. Their eight losses are tied for the most in the America East ahead of conference play. At this point last season, the team was 4-6. They eventually rebounded in conference play to finish second in the league.