Lightning delays suspend football season opener

(HEATHER KHALIFA/THE STATESMAN)
(HEATHER KHALIFA/THE STATESMAN)

Due to lightning delays that lasted almost four hours total, Stony Brook’s football season opener on the road against Toledo on Thursday was suspended.

The game was formally suspended at 12:14 a.m. on Friday after the game’s second lengthy lightning delay. The decision to suspend the game came after an earlier delay at the beginning of the second quarter that lasted for over three hours.

The second and final delay lasted about 25 minutes.

At the time the game was suspended, which was halftime, Stony Brook trailed Toledo 16-7. The game will not count towards either team’s record, so each will remain at 0-0.

When the game began on Thursday night, Stony Brook started on a high note. On the game’s opening drive, the Seawolves surprised the Rockets by marching 76 yards downfield for a touchdown. The 13-play drive culminated with a goal-line touchdown pass from senior quarterback Conor Bednarski to redshirt freshman tight end Cal Daniels. Stony Brook took a 7-0 lead on this very impressive drive.

The Seawolves held this lead for the entire first quarter and looked very sharp on both sides of the ball. However, the quarter ended on a sour note when Bednarski threw a costly interception at Stony Brook’s 12-yard line to senior Toledo safety Chaz Whittaker. The turnover led to a field goal by Toledo early in the second quarter.

The Seawolves took a 7-3 lead into the second quarter. But then the lightning came in, and play was stopped for 182 minutes.

Once play finally resumed, Stony Brook was dominated by Toledo as was expected coming into the game. After forcing a quick Seawolves three-and-out, Rockets junior running back Damion Jones-Moore ran for a 37-yard touchdown to put Toledo up 10-7.

Two drives later, Toledo was able to take advantage of another Bednarski interception that put them at Stony Brook’s 45-yard line. It took them just five plays in less than two minutes’ time, as junior running back Marc Remy ran for an 11-yard score to put Toledo ahead 16-7. The Rockets took this lead into halftime, carrying all of the momentum, which proved to be moot.

The Seawolves will look to get their first win of the season in next Saturday’s home opener, when they play Central Connecticut at 6:00 p.m.