Cuomo cracks down on underage drinking ahead of Labor Day

Alcohol and partying have come to define modern day college life. (JESSICA DESAMERO / THE STATESMAN)
“Underage drinking and the bad decisions that follow can have devastating and life-altering consequences,” Cuomo said in a news release following his announcement to enforce the banning of fake IDs. “By targeting fake IDs and increasing enforcement at summer concerts, we will help avoid needless tragedy and will send the message that this reckless behavior just isn’t worth it.” JESSICA DESAMERO/THE STATESMAN

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Monday that there will be a crackdown on underage drinking and fake IDs across the state, following the arrest of 20 concertgoers for the use of fake IDs at a Rascal Flatts concert on Saturday, Aug. 29 at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center.

The initiative will be enforced by the Department of Motor Vehicles through Labor Day weekend at concerts and events statewide. Anyone found with fake identification will face arrest, confiscation of the fake ID and a 90 day suspension of their license.

“Underage drinking and the bad decisions that follow can have devastating and life-altering consequences,” Cuomo said in a news release. “By targeting fake IDs and increasing enforcement at summer concerts, we will help avoid needless tragedy and will send the message that this reckless behavior just isn’t worth it.”

“For more than a decade, DMV and its partners in federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies have worked to prevent underage drinking by taking appropriate action against those who possess and use fake IDs,” DMV Executive Deputy Commissioner Terri Egan said in the news release. “I applaud our investigators and partners for their efforts, and for all they do to deter underage drinking.”

Since May 31, at least 187 arrests have been made at venues statewide, including Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center and Darien Lake Performing Arts Center.

In a statement last week, Cuomo also warned college students of the danger of identity theft when purchasing a fake ID online.

“The ripple effects of identity theft can last for years and more and more college students are opening themselves up to fraudsters by attempting to purchase a fake ID from the Internet,” Cuomo said. “Our message is simple: It’s just not worth it — both for the immediate consequences of getting caught with a fake ID and for putting their financial future at risk.”