SUNY announces “seamless transfer” policy

newsphoto
SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher (above) announced a new “seamless transfer” initiative with the Board of Trustees as part of a “Completion Agenda.” PHOTO CREDIT: SUNY

The State University of New York announced a new policy known as “seamless transfer,” which will guarantee that a student’s completed general education classes and classes that go toward his or her major will transfer to and from any SUNY campus.

The new system compiles more than 32,000 academic courses across the most popular majors, which accounts for more than 95 percent of transfer students, according to a SUNY news release.

Chancellor Nancy Zimpher and the SUNY Board of Trustees first unveiled the idea in 2012 as a part of a “Completion Agenda.” The goal of this initiative is to increase the number of degrees from 93,000 to 150,000 for the next five years.

“Every year, more than 30,000 students transfer from one SUNY campus to another,” said Alexander Cartwright, SUNY provost and executive vice chancellor, in the news release.

SUNY has also implemented “Transfer Paths,” which “summarize the common lower division requirements shared by all SUNY campuses for similar majors within most disciplines,” according to the SUNY website. The goal of Transfer Paths is to ensure junior standing to any student who has completed two years of study. There are currently 52 Transfer Paths, ranging from adolescence education to political science.

Within the 30,000 transfer students in the SUNY system, 49 percent of them transfer from a community college to a four-year university. Another 16 percent of students move from one four-year college to another, while 17 percent move from a four-year school to a community college. That leaves 18 percent who move from one community college to another.

“The full implementation of SUNY’s seamless transfer initiative will provide an unprecedented level of guidance to students as they seek to transfer between and among SUNY institutions,” Peter Knuepfer, SUNY Trustee and president of the University Faculty Senate, said in the news release.