USG Chief Justice Safe For Now

Chief Justice Geordan Kushner. (Kenneth Ho / The Statesman)

Impeachment City is no longer.

“It’s not going to happen,” Chief Justice Geordan Kushner said of his possible impeachment, which came about in the wake of Senator Daniel Graber’s impeachment and the controversy surrounding it – claims that he posted pornography on an Undergraduate Student Government computer desktop, and lighting a colleague’s business cards on fire.

Senator Alexander Dimitriyadi, who defended Graber, believed that Graber had committed an “impeachable offense,” but Dimitriyadi believed that it was a “witch-hunt” to impeach Graber months after the fact. “Had I been on the executive council when the issue was brought up, I would have pushed for impeachment at the time, back in November,” Dimitriyadi said. “I disagreed with the things that happened after.” Dimitriyadi defended Graber because he believed the senator was a “victim of circumstance.”

Chief Justice Kushner had pushed for Graber’s impeachment, writing the judiciary opinion: “So that’s why they came after me,” Kushner said, referring to attempts of his own impeachment.

“I was one of the people that was pushing for it,” Dimitriyadi said. Dimitriyadi believed some of Kushner’s actions were questionable, like his claims that the Constitution was unconstitutional.  “That was a mistake on the part of the judiciary. It doesn’t even make logical sense,” Dimitriyadi said.

Dimitriyadi also believed there were other mistakes made by Kushner

and the judiciary, like removing Graber from office without an official impeachment. “I thought there were violations of due process,” Dimitriyadi said.

An executive session, in which Kushner was not present, was held during which USG members voted on other issues as well as Kushner’s impeachment. Kushner was not aware of the outcome, only that he was still in his position as chief justice. “I’m guessing they didn’t have the votes,” he said Wednesday.

Dimitriyadi, who was present at the executive session, first said there was no vote taken, then said it was unanimously voted down. Because Kushner was appointed in November and his term is for one academic year, his term will end May 21. Dimitriyadi said USG members did not see the relevance, and called it a “moot point.”

If Kushner were to seek re-appointment to the Senate, Dimitriyadi has doubts he will succeed — about two-thirds of the senators are returning to the USG next year. “I would speculate that even if he was confirmed, that the Senate would not approve it.