Baseball wins slugfest with NYIT

BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN
Casey Baker (No. 6, above) had his third home run of the season in the top of the sixth inning to give the Seawolves an 11-10 lead in Tuesday’s game against NYIT. The Seawolves eventually won the slugfest, 18-13. BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN

In the final non-conference game of the season, the Stony Brook baseball team went to Angelo Lorenzo Memorial Field to take on the New York Institute of Technology Bears on Tuesday afternoon. This was not the typical defensive affair that manager Matt Senk enjoys, but the Seawolves still pulled out the 18-13 victory behind the middle five batters of the lineup driving in 12 runs on 14 hits.

The teams used 12 pitchers combined, with no pitcher lasting more than three innings. The longest tenure went to Bears’ starter Anthony Merchan, who allowed seven runs on eight hits in that trio of frames pitched.

More than half of the Bears’ runs came in the third inning off of three home runs against Seawolves starter Aaron Pinto.

Pinto only lasted 2.1 innings on the day.

Louis Mele and Anthony Martelli launched a pair of two-run home runs, while Matt DiBiase sent a three-run blast over the wall to switch a 5-0 NYIT deficit into a 7-5 Bears lead.

The Seawolves took the lead back in the top of the fourth. Toby Handley drove in a pair of runs on a groundout to second to tie it and Jack Parenty singled and then scored on a wild pitch to give Stony Brook the lead back at 8-7.

Parenty has now hit safely in eight of the last nine games and has recorded a hit in 36 of the season’s 40 games.

After the Seawolves increased the lead to 9-7 in the top of the fifth, NYIT used three RBI singles to get the lead at 10-9. However, that advantage would be short-lived.

In the sixth, Casey Baker drove his third home run of the season over the fence at Lorenzo, giving Stony Brook an 11-10 lead that would not be relinquished. Parenty added a two-run single in the seventh, part of a four-run frame for the Seawolves.

Mele added a two-run single in the bottom half, but that is the closest that the Bears would get the rest of the way in the defeat.

All but two batters recorded an RBI and all but one Seawolf recorded a hit in a balanced offensive attack.

With the win, Stony Brook moves to 26-14, while NYIT is stands at 14-26.