College gal cooking: Banana Dream Boats

While most Americans eat bananas imported from Latin America and South America, Hawaii is the only place where bananas are commercially grown in the U.S., according to “Fun Banana Facts.”

In the early 15th century, Portuguese sailors transported bananas from West Africa to Europe, “aboutfood” said. Although they found bananas in West Africa, the fruit may have originated in East Asia and Oceana. This week’s College Gal Cooking recipe is for Banana Dream Boats.

Ingredients

6 Bananas

½ cup mini marsh mellows

¼-½ cup milk chocolate morsels

¼-½ cup milk butterscotch morsels

3-6 cubes of Hershey’s Cookies and Cream bar or milk chocolate bar

2 tbs granola

Strawberries

Honey

Cinnamon (optional)

First, place the bananas side by side on their spines on a cookie pan. Then, make an incision along the center of the bananas.

Open the bananas enough to make adding the ingredients to the inside of the banana easier. It is okay if they get somewhat mashed in the process.

Then, add the marshmallows to the inside of the banana. Add the milk chocolate and butterscotch morsels and bits of the Hershey’s Cookies and Cream bar to the bananas. Feel free to change up the types of chocolates you use in the recipe. Once the chocolates are in, dice and add pieces of strawberries to the recipe.

The banana will widen as you add the ingredients. Crush some granola and sprinkle it onto the bananas.

Make sure the granola goes inside the banana. To top off the recipe, place more marshmallows on top to seal the ingredients into the banana.

Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place the finished bananas into the oven. Let the bananas bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Make sure you keep an eye on the recipe as it cooks. The marshmallows need to melt without getting crispy.

If you want to change up the ingredients, instead of using marshmallows, squeeze some honey into the bananas and use your desired ingredients. Parts of the banana’s skin will turn black as it cooks.

When the bananas are ready, take them out of the oven and allow them to cool for a  minute or so—the skin will be hot to the touch, so be careful. Once they cool slightly, grab a spoon and dig in.