“Fresh Off the Boat” gives Asian-Americans a TV spotlight

Fresh Off the Boat will soon be a sitcom based off the memoir of chef Eddie Huang. It will be the first Asian-American sitcom to air on television since 1994. (PHOTO CREDIT: BUBBLETEA1)
“Fresh Off the Boat” is a sitcom based off the memoir of chef Eddie Huang. The show will premier on Feb. 4, 2015.(PHOTO CREDIT: BUBBLETEA1)

Margaret Cho’s “All American Girl,” a sitcom centered on a Korean-American family, made its season run in 1994.

Since then, Asian-American families seemed to disappear from the small screen. Now, the four will burst back onto the scene with Food personality Eddie Huang’s “Fresh off the Boat,” which premieres on ABC this Wednesday, Feb. 4.

Our campus’ Asian-American students should rejoice, as this will be the first show about Asian-American’s life in the US in nearly 21-years.

The show, loosely based on Huang’s memoir of the same name, features a Taiwanese-American family in the 90s that moved from the inner city of Washington D.C. to the suburbs of Orlando.

The show centers on a young Eddie, played by Hudson Yang, as he adjust to the middle-class suburb lifestyle and all the growing pains along the way.

The show supports Hudson, an 11-year-old and unproven actor, with a somewhat well-known Asian-American cast.

Seasoned actor Randall Park plays Eddie’s father, Louis. Park is known for his hilarious portrayal as Margarita-drinking, Katy Perry-loving North Korean Dictator Kim Jong Un in “The Interview.” Constance Wu, a TV and film actor, plays Eddie’s mother Jessica.

Eddie also has two younger brothers, Evan, played by Ian Chen and Emery, played by Forrest Wheeler.

Lucille Soong, of “The Joy Luck Club” fame, plays Grandma Huang, yes, first name grandma, per Chinese tradition.

The show will follow the style of “Everybody Hates Chris,” mixed with a bit of “Modern Family’s” single camera, multi-set scheme.

Huang, the shows creator, is a revelation of sorts in the Asian-American community.

A Taiwanese-American who grew up in a middle class family in Orlando, Huang worked as a lawyer before opening BaoHaus, a East Village eatery known for its Baos­­­ —Chinese sandwiches—at the height of NYC’s Bao craze.

He was featured on an episode of Vice’s restaurateur show “Munchies.” Huang’s outgoing, hip-hop infused personality won over the young audience and he eventually went on to host his own cooking  show, “Fresh off the Boat” later changed to “Huang’s World” on Vice’s subsidiary site, Munchies. Huang has defied Asian stereotypes every step of the way as he gains popularity in the public.

“Fresh off the Boat” will have a two-episode premiere during ABC’s Comedy Block, with the “Pilot” episode airing at 8:30p.m. and then “The Shunning” at 9:30 p.m. The show will settle into its regular time slot on Tuesdays at 8 p.m.

Let us hope “Fresh off the Boat,” like its creator, will be funny and entertaining while aiming to break some stereotypical perceptions of the Asian-American community.