Stony Brook football player in custody

This construction site on John S. Toll Drive is where the initial confrontation between officers and Daniels occurred. (HEATHER KHALIFA / THE STATESMAN)
The construction site on John S. Toll Drive is where the initial confrontation between University Police Department officers and freshman tight end Calvin Daniels occurred. (HEATHER KHALIFA / THE STATESMAN)

Calvin Daniels, a freshman tight end on the Stony Brook football team, was brought into custody last night at approximately 8 p.m. by Stony Brook University Police at the Jacob K. Javits Lecture Center after an incident that occurred on the night of Nov. 15.

The 18-year-old Daniels was seen climbing over the fence out of the construction site on Toll Drive with beer on his person, according to University Police Chief Robert Lenahan.  After officers started to question him, he proceeded to shove the officer and run away, sending the officers into pursuit.

Lenahan said Daniels got away that night, but they were able to identify him since the encounter and made the arrest on Thursday, Dec. 4. He was brought into custody without incident.

Daniels did not play this season because he was redshirted.

In a statement, Assistant Director of Athletic Communications Adam Gutes said “we are aware of the situation and [are] gathering the facts.”

At this time, any potential charges to be brought against Daniels are unknown.

Friday, Dec. 5 at 2:41 p.m.: In a statement, Assistant Director of Athletic Communications Adam Gutes said “we are aware of the situation and [are] gathering the facts.”

Friday, Dec. 5 at 1:07 p.m.: Calvin Daniels, a freshman tight end on the Stony Brook football team, was brought into custody last night at approximately 8 p.m. by Stony Brook University Police at the Jacob K. Javits Lecture Center after an incident that occurred on the night of Nov. 15.

Stony Brook Athletics could not immediately be reached for comment at this time. At this time, any potential charges to be brought against Daniels are unknown.

Krysten Massa, Joe Galotti and Nicole Falletta contributed reporting to this story.