SCPD says death outside Stimson College appeared to be a suicide

(BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)
Police investigated “a medical emergency involving a student who fell in the vicinity of Stimson College in Roosevelt Quad,” according to a campus-wide email sent by UPD Chief Robert Lenahan. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

The Suffolk County Police Department (SCPD) ruled a male student’s death outside Stimson College in Roosevelt Quad on Tuesday, Dec. 2 to be a “non-criminal death” that appears to be a suicide. The Suffolk County Police Department Public Information Office said the incident took place at approximately 1:53 p.m.

Wednesday, Dec. 3, 12:28 p.m.: The Suffolk County Police Department Public Information Office (PIO) confirmed that the death of a male student in Roosevelt Quad was a non-criminal death that appeared to be a suicide. PIO also said that SCPD did not make any on-the-record comments that the student allegedly jumped from a window. SCPD does not release details about non-criminal deaths.

Tuesday, Dec. 2, 11:06 p.m.: President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. sent a campus-wide email stating that the male student involved in the incident at Stimson College died of his injuries at the University Hospital. The email stated that the student was found unresponsive and “all reports seem to indicate that there was no criminality involved.”

“Additional details regarding funeral services have not been determined as we await the family’s wishes and intentions,” Stanley said in the email.

Tuesday, Dec. 2, 2:30 p.m.: Chief of University Police Robert Lenahan sent an email to the campus community saying “there is no danger to the campus community at this time and further details will be provided as they become available.”

Hanaa’ Tameez and Kelly Zegers contributed to reporting.