Tabler Quad Takes the Bleeding Cup

The Second Annual Residential Blood Drive Award Ceremony was held Thursday, March 14, to honor the participants in this years blood drive at Stony Brook University. The event was held in the atrium of Benedict College.

The program recognized the residence hall directors and residence assistants who coordinated the blood drive in each quad. Chris Neumann, RHD of Gershwin College, and Erica Cordazzo, Residence Hall Director (RHD) of Dreiser College organized the ceremony. Among the speakers were Carl Hanes, Deputy to the President and blood drive chairman, and President Shirley Strum Kenny.

This years blood drive set a new record for the university, with 395 pints of blood collected, Hanes said. The blood drive was also able to gather 204 new bone marrow donors, which Hanes said was impressive. This was also the first time the university’s three apartment complexes participated in the blood drive.

“Any successful program like this doesn’t just happen,” Hanes said. “It takes a lot of special people.”

The people who helped run this years successful program were awarded with plaques. Plaques were also given to the building in each quad that donated the most blood.

Gershwin College in Roth quad had 15 percent participation, while Roosevelt quads Wagner College had 16 percent. Hamilton College in Kelly quad had a 17 percent turnout, and Mendelson’s Irving College had 23 percent. James College in H quad came in second with 28 percent, and Tabler’s Dreiser College had the greatest participation total with 34 percent.

A trophy cup was also awarded to the quad that had the highest overall turnout. Kelly quad had an 8 percent total, just behind Roth quad with 9 percent. Mendelson quad had 11 percent, following Roosevelt quads 12 percent. H quad again came in second with 15 percent, and Tabler quad won the cup with 27 percent of total residents participating. Quad Director Qin Wang was on hand to accept the cup.

“I’m very proud of my staff,” Wang said. “Not only the RHDs, but the RAs, the student leaders and the residents too.”

Likewise, President Kenny was very proud when she addressed the crowd, which numbered about 30. “This is very overwhelming,” Kenny said. “Several times this year there was a blood shortage, but there has been an outpouring of blood donations.”The university is already looking forward to next years blood drive, and the opportunity to help again, said Hanes. “I’m counting on you,” he said. “I’m sure you can do it.”

President Kenny added that Stony Brook University has done much to help its community. “You have really done a splendid job,” Kenny said. “You’re lifesavers.”