Volleyball’s win streak snapped

(BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)
SBU’s women’s volleyball team broke its seven-game win streak this weekend when the team lost its matches against the Albany Great Danes and the Binghamton Bearcats. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

This weekend, the Stony Brook women’s volleyball team hit the road for two conference games against Albany and Binghamton. The trip, however, did not go as planned for the Seawolves, as they lost both matches 3-1, falling to 2-2 in conference play. This weekend marked the end of a seven-game win streak for SBU

The Seawolves match against Albany was not one of their best performances. They lost 3-1 (17-25, 26-24, 25-21, 25-9), and their sets were marked by an inability to finish off their opponent and an absolute collapse at the end.

The first game set the tone of a Seawolves domination, as they took as much as an eight-point lead in the first set win.

The second set started out worse for the Seawolves, as they fell to a 21-11 deficit, which appeared to be surefire defeat for Stony Brook.

However, Kathy Fletcher and Evann Slaughter lead the charge back as they tied the set 24-24. That was not enough, though, as Albany won the next two points and won the set.

The third set was another tough loss for the Seawolves, as the Great Danes simply outpaced them to win 25-21 in a set lacking in any major run for either side.

The fourth set was dominated by the Great Danes, as Stony Brook looked lifeless against a team it previously  had proved it could handle.

The team was steamrolled, as Albany took the win 25-9 and the match 3-1.

There was a common theme this weekend as the Seawolves lost to Binghamton in a similar fashion 3-1(27-25, 25-20, 23-25, 25-12).

The first set was a tightly contested matchup, as the two teams went back and forth throughout the entire set. The Seawolves had the opportunity to close out when they lead 24-22, but they failed and the set went to extra points. The set was quickly closed out after by Binghamton 27-25.

The second set was marked by an early back and forth between the two teams to have the game tied at 11-11 and a big Bearcat run that put the Seawolves on the mat from which they could not get up. The Seawolves never really threatened again as they lost 25-20.

The third set was yet another tightly contested affair, but this time the Seawolves managed to pull the win out.

With the set tied 23-23 late, Taylor Gillie put up a big block and Shelby Tietjen finished the game with a big kill.

However, it was all for naught for the Seawolves as they yet again collapsed in the fourth set.

In another disappointing performance, the Seawolves were run over by a team that was beatable.

The Bearcats won the final set 25-12 and the match 3-1, and Stony Brook went home 0-2 on the weekend.

The Seawolves will return home this weekend to take on New Hampshire and UMass-Lowell. SBU is 6-0 in home games this season.

Correction: October 13, 2014

A previous version of this article misspelled Binghamton, calling it “Binghampton.”