Women’s volleyball starts conference play with win

(HANAA TAMEEZ / THE STATESMAN)
The Seawolves came away with a 3-1 win over the Hartford Hawks this past Friday. (HANAA TAMEEZ / THE STATESMAN)

On Friday, the Stony Brook women’s volleyball team headed out to Hartford, Conn. to kick off their America East season against the Hartford Hawks.

The night proved to be successful for the Seawolves, as they were able to come away with a 3-1 win (25-19, 23-25, 26-24, 25-19). SBU improved their record to 8-7 overall, and 1-0 in conference play.

The first set was a strong win for the Seawolves.

They ceded the first three points of the set, but bounced back quickly with two big runs to give them a comfortable lead as they pulled out the win 25-16.

A crucial point in the set came when the Seawolves were up 12-9. Junior Nicole Vogel notched an ace, and senior Taylor Gillie and redshirt senior Evann Slaughter combined for a combo-stuff to make it 14-9.

After a Hartford timeout and point, the Seawolves went on a 5-0 run to take control of the set at 19-10.

The second set was a slipup for the Seawolves, however, as they dropped the final three points  of the set to lose the second frame 25-23.

Stony Brook never trailed in the third set, as they had leads of 7-1 and 16-9 before Hartford made a comback. Stony Brook was up 24-22, but back-to-back Seawolves errors knotted it at 24. The Seawolves managed to pull out the win with two consecutive errors from Hartford’s Chandler Goodwin.

The Seawolves were able to close out the match in the fourth set, with a big five point run after tying the game 11-11 pushing the Seawolves to victory. An attack error and a kill kept the home team close at 24-19, but Vogel set up junior Melissa Rigo for the clinching point.

The Seawolves were lead by Vogel, who notched one of three Seawolves double-doubles with 49 assists and 22 digs.

Redshirt junior Kathy Fletcher led the Seawolves in kills, and posted another double-double with 18 kills and 14 digs.

The final Seawolves double-double was put up by Rigo, with 12 kills and 14 digs.

The Seawolves will begin a two game homestand on Oct. 1 when they host Manhattan.