Men’s soccer blows 2-0 lead, goes on to lose in overtime

(KEITH OLSEN / THE STATESMAN)
Stony Brook began the game by scoring two goals in the first 30 minutes, but ended up falling to the Northeastern Huskies in overtime. (KEITH OLSEN / THE STATESMAN)

The Stony Brook men’s soccer team lost 3-2 in a crushing overtime defeat to the visiting Northeastern Huskies on Sunday at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium.

The loss drops Stony Brook to 2-6-1 overall with America East conference games around the corner.

Stony Brook began the game with fury, scoring two goals in the first 30 minutes of the match.

Seawolves junior Martin Giordano was able to score on a beautiful volley from the right wing in the 16th minute to start the match’s scoring.

The shot was set up by freshman Vince Erdei, who executed a well-placed diagonal cross for his first assist of the season.

“[Erdei] dribbled up the field, cut in, swung the ball across the box, and as the keeper was switching sides, I volleyed it inside the left post,” Giordano said after the game.

Just 14 minutes later, in the 30th minute, freshman Fernando Wadskier was able to bury his first goal as a Seawolf with a low and hard left-footed shot to the short side of the goalie, just inside the near post, putting the team up 2-0.

Northeastern scored their first goal in the afternoon with just 18 seconds left in the first half when sophomore Christian McKenna was able to split the defenders and notch a breakaway goal to give the Huskies some momentum into the half.

Stony Brook Head Coach Ryan Anatol called it a “really soft goal” and said that the team “can’t give goals away like that” at the end of a half.

For much of the second half, the teams were trading possession and the defenses were limiting offensive opportunities. This changed in the 85th minute when McKenna scored his second goal of the game to tie the score at two.

McKenna’s goal came as a result of a give-and-go play with freshman Frantzdy Pierrot in which McKenna capped off the play with a right-footed strike to the top-right corner of the net from about 20 yards.

No more goals were scored in the remainder of regulation time and the game went into overtime, the second such game for the Seawolves men’s soccer team this season.

It was in the first overtime period that Northeastern was able to score a golden goal, stealing the victory that seemed so unlikely in the first half.

In a scramble in front of the net in the 99th minute, senior Nick Goo was able to take a pass from freshman Charlton Muhlauri and tap in the game-winner, completing the comeback for the Huskies.

Giordano talked about the team recovering mentally from a rough loss like this, saying “As hard as the game can be, you have to just get over it. Take a lesson from it. You know, don’t let it happen again. It’s easy to sulk and be upset, but it’s important to take a lesson from it and to not let it happen again.”

Although such a loss can be a difficult pill to swallow, Stony Brook looks optimistically towards the rest of the season, including the beginning of conference play.

“Our goal is to do well in the conference. That hasn’t changed; that won’t change. We’ve learned lessons in the season so far,” Anatol said. “We’ve gotten better in areas and guys are starting to get healthy and get back. We have high expectations and this Saturday [against New Hampshire] we expect to win the game.”

The Seawolves return to the LaValle Stadium pitch this Saturday night for a 7 p.m. tilt with the New Hampshire Wildcats.