College gal cooking: dormmade thin crust grilled chicken pizza

(GISELLE BARKLEY/ THE STATESMAN)
Pizza originated in Naples when it was a Greek settlement. (GISELLE BARKLEY/ THE STATESMAN)

In the 1700s and early 1800s, pizza was an inexpensive food that poor working class people from Naples would eat, according to an article from the History Channel’s website.

For this recipe, I used tomato sauce to keep it simple. If you want to try something different, try using boursin cheese, a spreadable French cheese, instead of tomato sauce. You can change the toppings based on personal preference.

Ingredients:

2 tubes of Pillsbury thin crust pizza dough

1 jar of Classico Tomato & Basil Pasta sauce

1½ bags of Veggie Go shredded mozzarella cheese

2 cups of Tyson Grilled & Ready oven-roasted chicken

¼ bag of spinach

½ an onion

⅓ of a green pepper

⅓ red pepper

I usually make pizza dough from scratch, but that can be a bit time consuming. Use pre-made dough to save time.

First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Use both of the tubes of dough to prevent the pizza crust from burning while the rest of the ingredients are cooking. If you want your dough to be on the softer side, add the tomato spread, cheese and your desired toppings and then put the pizza in the oven.

To make the pizza crispy, put it in the oven for a few minutes. Since the dough is for a thin crust pizza, keep an eye on it while it is pre-heating in the oven.

If you are following the directions on the dough’s packaging, do not leave the dough in for five minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit as suggested because the dough will begin to cook fully or burn. Check the dough. You do not want it to look completely raw.

After it has been pre-heated, take the dough out of the oven. I let mine cool for a bit before adding all of my toppings. I used tomato and basil pasta sauce for the pizza because it adds more flavor. Spread the tomato sauce until it covers the pizza evenly. Make sure to leave some room on the edge of the pizza for the crust.

Once all of the toppings are on the pizza, put the pizza back into the oven.

Thin crust pizza can be tricky. If you are monitoring your pizza and you see that the edges are cooking faster than the toppings, lower the temperature down to at least 300 degrees. The pizza will take longer to cook, but it will cook evenly.

If the pizza dough is golden brown and the toppings have cooked, take the pizza out. Let it cool before you start cutting it. If the toppings are not fully cooked when the dough is ready, let the pizza rest. Allowing the pizza to rest will take care of the toppings that need some more time to cook.

Once it is ready, dig in. I like making my pizzas because I know what goes into them. It is also fun to make, especially if you are having friends over and you want to make something quick and easy.

Correction: September 22, 2014

A previous version of this article referred to the brand “Pillsbury” as “Pillsbury Dough Boy.”