What you missed at Stony Brook while you were away

(BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)
The Long Island Rail Road strike was averted by Gov. Cuomo’s negotiation of a 6.5-year deal with the worker’s union that features improved benefits and wage increases.  (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

Campus Dining changes

In response to student feedback surveys and focus groups conducted during the spring semester, Campus Dining announced a series of changes and new additions to on-campus dining locations over the summer.

One of the most popular requests fulfilled by the policy changes is the rollover of unused meal points from the fall to the spring semester, according to Angela Agnello, the director of marketing and communications of the Faculty Student Association (FSA). Students will also be able to upgrade their meal plans at any time during the semester, while downgrades can be made during the first or last three weeks of the semester.

Additionally, all meal plan and retail rates will remain the same as last year, and the meal plans have also been extended for use at J Club, Jasmine’s all-you-can-eat lunch buffet. For a complete list of announcements, see Campus Dining’s website.

Long Island Rail Road workers strike

A strike by Long Island Rail Road workers’ unions that was scheduled to begin July 20 was averted upon Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s negotiation of a 6.5-year deal featuring wage increases and better benefits for workers.

The university is trying to work with a variety of transportation services to aid commuters, according to Director of Sustainability and Transportation Operations James O’Connor. He highlighted the partnership with the 7Bus service and the plans for enhanced service during the time of the potential strike as one way the university strove to provide alternate modes of transportation.

Student deaths

In a tragic series of events, this summer has seen the loss of two members of the Stony Brook community. Stony Brook alumnus Artem Gleb Ayzen, class of 2012, was killed in a hit-and-run on North Country Road the night of July 9. Ayzen was continuing his studies at Stony Brook to earn his master’s degree and doctorate in electrical engineering.

Amanda Gambacorto was killed on Aug. 16 in a racecar crash at Wall Stadium Speedway in New Jersey. The 21-year-old student was a philosophy and environmental humanities double major.

Toll Drive residence hall

Construction of new residence halls and a 60,000 square foot dining facility began on Toll Drive between Mendelsohn Quad and the Wang Center. Groundbreaking on the first phase of the project, which includes the dining facility, took place on July 30.

The second phase, which will add a commons building, is scheduled to be completed by fall 2016. The new suite-style buildings will add 759 beds to the university’s housing capacity, bringing the total above 10,300.  The dining facility portion is intended to take the place of the food services of the Stony Brook Union, according to a univeristy press release.

Correction: Sept. 4, 2014

A previous version of this article stated that meal plans could be upgraded or downgraded at any time during the semester. While this is true for upgrades, meal plans can only be downgraded during the first or last three weeks of the semester.