Stony Brook hockey schedule released

After making their first ever trip to the ACHA semifinals at the Division I level, the Stony Brook Seawolves club hockey team will be back at it again, looking to take a step forward and take home a national championship.

Entering the season ranked No. 3 in the country, Stony Brook will look to avenge their loss to Arizona State in the semifinals after blowing a 3-2 lead to the Sun Devils going into the third period.

The Sun Devils ended up winning the national championship by defeating Robert Morris University 3-1.

It was their first national championship in school history, earning them the Murdoch Cup.

They will get a chance to avenge this loss on Nov. 8 and Nov. 9, when Arizona State makes the trip up north to Long Island and the Rinx at Hauppauge for a twinbill with the Seawolves. The matchup for Nov. 8 is scheduled for 8:30 p.m, while Nov. 9 is a matinee scheduled to start at 3:30 p.m.

The Seawolves will then travel to the Grand Canyon State on Jan. 22 for an 8:15 p.m. matchup with the Sun Devils.

Stony Brook will then stay in the state to play the in-state rival of Arizona State, the Wildcats of Arizona for a twinbill on Jan. 23 and Jan. 24.

Both games are scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

The Seawolves are not scheduled to face RMU this season.

For those big matchups, and the rest of their games this season, they will look to returning ACHA All-Americans Chris Joseph and Ryan Cotcamp to lead the charge.

Both players participated in the World University Games in Torino, Italy.

Joseph finished with two goals and was a backbone for Team USA’s defensive core.

Cotcamp finished with a goal and three assists during the tournament, adding offensive finesse to the team.

Arizona State sent three players to represent their country, who finished fourth in the 2013 tournament.

The Seawolves schedule this season features eight teams ranked in the final top 25 from a season ago, and two of those include the Wildcats and Sun Devils.

They face the No. 9 Liberty Flames four times this year. They play in Lynchburg, Virginia the weekend of Nov. 14-15.

Liberty then comes to Stony Brook the first weekend back from Christmas break on Jan. 10-11.

The Seawolves will also face off against the No. 12 team from last season, the Delaware Blue Hens, four times.

Stony Brook will travel to Newark, Delaware the last weekend before the Christmas break, Dec. 5-6.

They will then host the Blue Hens on Jan. 17-18. Jan. 17 is scheduled for 8:30 p.m, while the game on Jan. 18 will face off at 3:30 p.m.