Softball takes two of three

Allison Cukrov and co. are looking to win second straight America East title.
Allison Cukrov and her teammates are looking to win their second straight America East title. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

This weekend, the Stony Brook softball team went up to Binghamton to face off against the Bearcats in a three-game series.

The Seawolves won two of the three games, clinching the America East regular season title in the process. 

The Seawolves swept Binghamton on Friday, winning an extra innings pitching duel 1-0 followed by an offensive battle 16-10, then lost on Saturday 6-4.

The first game was marked by a masterful pitching performance by Stony Brook starter Allison Cukrov, who carried a no-hitter through six innings, allowing the only Binghamton hit in the seventh. 

She ended up carrying the Seawolves through extra innings, completing the complete game shutout with two consecutive strikeouts in the eighth. 

The offense was able to find its one run in the eighth, when Kellie Reynolds was able to reach base on a walk and score following a sac bunt, passed ball and single.

The second game was the opposite type of contest, with both teams putting up runs with ease. 

The Seawolves seemed to break the game open with an eight run fifth. 

This was highlighted by a Jessica Combs three-run shot, threatening Binghamton with the mercy rule. 

Binghamton answered right back with seven runs in the fifth on an outstanding two-out rally capped by a Jessica Bump grand slam.

Sallen left after the inning, with the Seawolves nursing a three-run lead. 

Cukrov came in to shut out the Bearcats yet again mere hours after her extra innings shutout performance.

Olivia Mintun went 2-of-4 with one run scored, Alexandra Pisciotta added two hits of her own and Bria Green led the team with four walks on the day.

The third game turned out to be a tough loss for the Seawolves, as they fell 6-4.

Sallen had her second poor outing of the weekend, allowing four earned runs in four innings. 

Stony Brook defensive errors gave up an unearned run, and that was too much for the offense to compensate for. 

The Seawolves were only able to put up four runs in one inning, and were shutout for the rest to end their regular season with a loss.

Combs continued her hot batting, going 2-for-3 with a couple of RBIs. Green and Zeilman both failed to register hits.

The team finished with a 32-16 record, 15-2 in the America East, the latter being a best in program history. 

With the season behind them, the softball team now looks to the America East tournament, stationed at Stony Brook, much to the delight of the Seawolves.

The double elimination tournament spans three days beginning on May 8.

Stony Brook opens up against UMBC, who they have beaten twice in their two meetings on the season, albeit both by close margins.

They will then play the winner of Albany and Binghamton on Friday morning at 11 a.m.

David Vertsberger contributed to this report.