Stony Brook extends Pikiell through 2018-2019 season

STATESMAN STOCK PHOTO
Men’s Basketball head coach Steve Pikiell added one year to his contract, extending his stay through the 2018-2019 season. (STATESMAN STOCK PHOTO)

According to a release by Stony Brook Athletics, head coach of the men’s basketball team Steve Pikiell signed a one-year extension on Wednesday. Pikiell is now under contract through the 2018-2019 season after leading the Seawolves to their third trip to the America East championship in four years and their third straight 20+ win season.

“Steve has always been an exemplary leader of our Stony Brook men’s basketball program, and I am thrilled to know that he will be leading our student-athletes to future success as we move forward,“ Donna Woodruff, Interim Director of Athletics, stated.

Pikiell took the reins from Nick Macarchuk prior to the 2005-06 season, and has since turned Stony Brook into a dominant basketball force in the conference with his rugged style of play. Defense and scoring inside are mainstays of Pikiell’s brand of basketball, one that has paved the way for a 70-29 record over the past three years.

In 2014, Stony Brook ranked 68th among 351 schools in points allowed per 100 possessions according to Sports-Reference, and fell a few buckets short of their first trip to the NCAA Tournament.

Pikiell has received individual honor for his leadership, accumulating three America East Coach of the Year awards and two Met Writers Coach of the Year awards in his nine seasons at the helm of Stony Brook.
The program’s success under Pikiell extends off the court, with Stony Brook’s APR (Academic Progress Rate) over the past three seasons consistently finishing at a perfect 1000.

“I want to thank the entire Stony Brook University administration, especially Donna Woodruff and President Stanley, for their support each and every day as we continue to lead this program to bigger and better things,” Pikiell said. “I look forward to being a part of Stony Brook’s bright future and continuing to give our University and surrounding communities, our fans and alumni a program they are proud to support.”

As the Seawolves focus on another run at their ultimate goal of receiving an NCAA Tournament bid, they have added assurance that the backbone of this program is here to stay, despite the recent news that Beth O’Boyle, head coach of the women’s basketball team, resigned to take a job at VCU.

With coach Steve Pikiell comes success on and off the hardwood, and another year of that is invaluable to Stony Brook.