Seawolves’ winning streak reaches 11 after win over Delaware

No. 26 Alyssa Cardillo scored three goals in three (MANJU SHIVACHARAN / THE STATESMAN)
No. 26 Alyssa Cardillo scored three goals on three shots against the Delaware Blue Hens last Tuesday afternoon. (MANJU SHIVACHARAN / THE STATESMAN)

On Tuesday afternoon, the Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse team sailed by the Delaware Blue Hens by a score of 8-4, extending SBU’s winning streak to 11 games.

The Seawolves were led by senior attacker Alyssa Cardillo, who scored three goals on three shots. Senior Emily Mercier was Stony Brook’s second leading scorer in the game, adding two goals.

Scoring a single goal each for Stony Brook were freshmen Dorrien Van Dyke and Kristin Yevoli and sophomore Natalie Marciniak.

Delaware scored an early goal less than two minutes into the game, before Stony Brook tied it up just over 10 minutes into the game. From that point on the Seawolves went on to control the pace and tempo for the rest of the game, leading Delaware by a score of 4-2 at the half.

In the second half of play Stony Brook continued to control the game, finishing with eight goals and 21 shots on goal.

In net, senior Frankie Caridi made seven saves and only allowed four goals.

Over the past 11 games Stony Brook has been led by freshman midfielder Dorrien Van Dyke, who has now racked up 27 goals during the team’s current win streak. Freshman Courtney Murphy has scored 36 goals over the same period.

In the net for Stony Brook, and providing leadership for the team, has been four-time America East Defensive Player of the Week, Caridi.

Caridi has put on a dominant performance in the net this year for Stony Brook, allowing the second fewest goals in school history twice this season, limiting Bucknell and UMBC to only one goal each.

The win over Delaware puts the Women’s Lacrosse program at an overall record of 14-2 on the season. The team’s final regular season game is this coming Saturday, April 26, at Vermont. Then on Friday, May 2, the Seawolves will face a yet to be determined opponent in the American East Conference Semifinals that will be held at Stony Brook because of SBU’s No. 1 seed in the America East Conference.