Baseball gets late inning win vs. Rhode Island

(JISOO HWANG / THE STATESMAN)
Stony Brook Baseball won their game against Rhode Island 5-4, improving to 21-11.(JISOO HWANG / THE STATESMAN)

Stony Brook Baseball beat Rhode Island 5-4 at Joe Nathan Field Wednesday afternoon. The Seawolves improved to 21-11 with Wednesday’s game winning their 11th out of their last 12 games. The Seawolves are now 4-1 all time against Rhode Island, who fell to 6-25 on the season.

Stony Brook’s five runs came off nine hits, two walks and an error. Seven of those hits came from the Seawolves’ top four in the order.

Senior first baseman Kevin Courtney and junior Kevin Krause combined for four hits in seven at-bats to lead the Seawolves.

“(Kevin) Courtney has been excellent for us, especially in RBI (Runs Batted In) situations. (Kevin) Krause is also really hitting the ball well,” head coach Matt Senk said.

The turning point in the game for the Seawolves came in the eighth inning with both teams tied at four. After a leadoff hit by Courtney, a sac bunt by Cole Peragine and walk to Casey Baker, Johnny Caputo came up to the plate with one out. A past ball allowed the runners on first and second to advance into scoring position. Caputo then flied out which allowed Courtney to score the go-ahead run.

“Johnny Caputo got the game winning RBI with a sac fly today so he’s really been on for us lately as well. We’ve been getting good at-bats from the entire lineup. Hopefully we can continue this into next weekend against Massachusetts,” Senk said.

This weekend the Seawolves will look to continue their strong play as they travel to Lowell, Mass. to play three conference games against UMass Lowell (10-13, 3-5 AE).