Five-game win streak helps Seawolves into first

The Seawolves beat Hofstra 3-2. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)
The Seawolves are now 6-3 on the road this season. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

In most sports, when the top players are not playing well, you generally lose the game.
The Stony Brook Softball team was able to overcome that on Thursday afternoon, and defeat the Hofstra Pride 3-2 at University Field.

Three of the Seawolves’ top four hitters were a combined 1/10 on the day, with the outlier being Shayla Giosia who came up huge in the game.

“Hitters are going to have days when they aren’t at their best, but hopefully someone else is there to pick up the slack,” coach Megan Bryant said after the game.

There were multiple pick-me-ups in the game, including Giosia who went 2/4 including the game-winning line drive that went in and out of the third baseman’s glove, scoring Nicole Schieferstein from third.

Giosia also extended her hitting streak to nine games, and is hitting .448 during that span.
It was the likes of Alexandra Pisciotta going 3-for-3, and Melissa Phelan going 2-for-3 that propelled the Seawolves to victory.

“As the season has gone on, we have developed a solid 1 through 9,” Bryant said. “We have the confidence to win the one-run games.”

It was the ninth time this season that the Seawolves won by a single run, the last of which coming April 5th against the Hartford Hawks, which they won by a 2-1 margin.

The Seawolves other two runs game in the bottom of the second when Kellie Reynolds, the eighth hitter in the order, drove a line drive to the left center field gap.

This scored Phelan and Pisciotta, and at the time gave the Seawolves a 2-1 lead.

Allison Cukrov was again spectacular, only walking one batter for the second straight game, while striking out ten for the second time this season.

The Seawolves then went into a three-game weekend set with the UMass Lowell River Hawks, a newly-minted Division I team. The teams met for the first time since 1996, and the Seawolves continued their America East domination.

Cukrov was outstanding again, only allowing one hit while striking out seven and she was backed up by a potent offense that belted three home runs.

Bria Green sent two over the wall at River View Field, including a two run shot in the first inning to give Stony Brook an early 2-0 lead.

The seventh also saw power, as the Seawolves built on their 3-0 lead. Jessica Combs sent her third of the year out of the park, and three batters later, Green sent her second one out to finish the scoring at 5-0.

Giosia seemed to be the only down spot in game one, as she saw her nine-game hitting streak come to an end.

Game two was much more defensive, but Jane Sallen was up to the task, holding her own and pitching the Seawolves to a 2-1 victory.

In the fourth, Phelan singled and then advanced to second on a walk. Pisciotta continued her red-hot pace, and singled to load the bases. She has hit 9-for-16 since rejoining the starting lineup.

It was then Jessica Zeilman hitting into a fielders choice, which scored Phelan and started the scoring. Green added another RBI to her season total, this time by way of a single in the fifth. That scored Olivia Mintun and doubled the lead to 2-0.

Sallen let in a run off an RBI double in the seventh, but with the tying run on third and two outs, she struck out Brianna Martin to win the game.

The Seawolves had to wait a little over 2 hours and fifteen minutes to start as Mother Nature dumped buckets of water on Lowell, Mass. After the rain subsided, the River Hawks played Stony Brook to a scoreless draw for two innings.

Then the Seawolves offense took control. Stony Brook scored two in the third thanks to Giosia.

She ripped a single and then advanced to second on the throw, as Combs and Reynolds scored putting the Seawolves on the board.

Combs then was the batter in the fourth when Stony Brook scored again, as she ripped a double up the middle, scoring Reynolds and Zeilman. Mintun then singled to center, scoring Combs and making it 5-0.

The Seawolves then unloaded the offense in the fifth, putting a five-spot on the River Hawks and doubling their lead. It all started when Kat Zabielski singled to left, scoring Zeilman.

Reynolds then doubled to center field, scoring Zabielski and making it 7-0. Combs then continued her perfect 3-for-3 day with an RBI single to left field, which plated Reynolds as she scored her third run of the day.

After a Mintun single to left scoring Combs, and a Giosia double to left center, the Seawolves went up 10-0. Lowell tried to rally in the bottom of the fifth, when Melissa King homered to left center.

That was not enough, as the mercy rule was enforced yet again in favor of the Seawolves.

They walked away with a 10-1 victory and a sweep of an America East opponent for the second straight weekend.

Cukrov was dominant again for SBU, allowing one hit through the five innings, while striking out five.

She has now not lost since March 8, which is 15 straight games, and has won her last nine decisions. The pitching duo of her and Sallen has been sensational over the last three weeks.

The combo allowed two earned runs or less in 12 straight games. Stony Brook also matched an offensive season-high today, belting 13 hits.

It could’ve been more, but UMass Lowell caught onto the power of Bria Green and wouldn’t let her do more damage than she already has, issuing her two intentional walks.

The offense also recorded double-digit runs for the third time this season. They put up 11 on Liberty on March 2, and 11 on Hartford on April 6.

Moving forward to the present, the Seawolves will travel to Quinnipiac for a doubleheader on Wednesday with the first game starting at 2:30 pm. They will then continue America East play on Easter weekend, with two games on Saturday and a game Sunday morning against Maine.

It was in Maine last season that the two teams played a 15-inning marathon, with the Seawolves prevailing with a 3-2 victory.