Murphy leads Seawolves to win over rival Albany

WLAX_anusha.mookherjee
Stony Brook picked up two victories this week, and has now won nine straight. (ANUSHA MOOKHERJEE / THE STATESMAN)

The Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse team took the driver’s seat in the America East Conference on Saturday afternoon with a big 8-4 win over rival Albany.

Heading into their clash undefeated, both the Seawolves and Great Danes had a lot on the line when they faced off in the state’s capital.

The No. 15 Seawolves got off to a solid start and never looked at, using their defensive prowess to suffocate one of the nation’s leading offenses. Coach Joe Spallina’s team grabbed a quick 4-1 lead, and never let the No. 18 Great Danes dig their claws into the contest.

When Albany scored with 10:28 to go in the first half, it was no surprise that one of Stony Brook’s freshman sensations, Courtney Murphy, was there to eliminate any possible momentum with her first of three goals on the day.

For Murphy, her hat trick, which brought her total to 41 goals on the season, will more than likely make her the leading freshman goal scorer in the country when the new statistics are released Monday, just ahead of teammate Dorrien Van Dyke.

An eventual 8-2 lead for the Seawolves proved too tough for Albany to overcome, as the stifling Stony Brook defense, led by senior goalkeeper Frankie Caridi, would hang on for the win.

In only his third year as head coach, Spallina has made history. As the last second ticked off Saturday, the Seawolves coach earned his program-record 43rd win with Stony Brook.

No coach has won as many games in Seawolves red as Spallina, and not even done with his 3rd season yet, it may be a while before anybody sniffs that number again.

Stony Brook looks to stay on track as they return to Kenneth P. Lavalle Stadium on Saturday to play New Hampshire on senior day.