College gal cooking: Wings with a kick

(NICOLE BANSEN / THE STATESMAN)
This wings recipe is delicious and easy to adjust for anyone’s spice tolerance. (NICOLE BANSEN / THE STATESMAN)

Just because football season is over doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy eating wings. If I had the money to do so, I would probably eat wings every week. While it’s certainly not the healthiest choice one could make, it would definitely be a delicious choice. There are so many possibilities for different flavor combinations, how could anyone get bored with chicken wings? And while it can get a little messy, there’s something immensely satisfying about eating wings with your bare hands. Maybe it awakens some memories of a simpler time when eating everything with your hands was acceptable. Maybe the human brain subconsciously relates the feeling of eating with your hands back to our caveman ancestors. Or, maybe I’m a little weird and it’s just me who gets that feeling. For this recipe, I added a little extra spice, so if you can’t handle the heat, you may want to exclude hot sauce from this recipe.
————————–

Ingredients

– 1 pack of chicken legs (6)

– Peanut oil

– 1 tablespoon of garlic pepper

– 1 tablespoon of salt

– 1 tablespoon of pepper

– 1 bottle of hot sauce

– 1/3 cup of water

– 2 eggs

– 1 ½ cups of self-rising flour

Start off by tacking your chicken legs and rinsing each under cold water for about 30 seconds and then laying them down on a plate covered with a paper towel. Once all the legs are rinsed, take a medium bowl and combine the eggs with the water. Whisk the eggs for about four minutes and put them to the side. In another medium-sized bowl, combine your flour with your seasonings: the tablespoon of garlic pepper, salt and pepper. Next, take your hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot) and add until the mixture turns a bright orange color. If you like spicy wings/legs, you can add the sauce until it’s a darker orange, but if you like a mild flavor, only add enough hot sauce to where the mixture is a lighter orange color.

In a medium sauce pan, pour enough peanut oil to fill about a third of the pan. Heat on a medium-high temperature. You can now take your chicken legs and dip them in the egg mixture and then quickly coat them in the flour mixture. Once the leg is fully covered by flour, place the leg in the pan. Fry each leg for about eight to 10 minutes on each side or until the leg turns brown and crispy. Be careful not to stand too close to the legs while they fry as the hot oil may spill out every once in a while. If you want to be extra careful about your cooked chicken, get a meat thermometer and make sure each leg reaches at least 160 degrees. If you are a true spice lover and wish to make your wings/legs even hotter, put some hot sauce in a pan with about two tablespoons of butter and slowly blend the two together. When your wings are done cooking, you can dip them in the sauce for a truly powerful kick! This recipe serves one.