Press Start to Continue: Reaper of Souls, a gamer’s dream

(PHOTO CREDIT: FOEOC KANNILC / CREATIVE COMMONS)
“Diablo III: Reaper of Souls” is slated to launch for other consoles by the end of the year. (PHOTO CREDIT: FOEOC KANNILC / CREATIVE COMMONS)

Blizzard delivered the finale to “Diablo III” on March 25. The expansion, “Reaper of Souls” (RoS), closes out every bit of story that began in “Diablo III.” Players return to the Pandemonium Fortress of “Diablo II” to fight the Angel of Death, Malthael, in order to bring an end to the rampant slaughter of man by the newly corrupt archangels. With fantastic storytelling and new skills, equipment, environments, enemies, game modes and playable classes, RoS succeeds in every facet required of a great expansion.

The additional Act V closes out the story of “Diablo III” and puts veteran gamers in their place with staggering difficulty level. Well geared and informed players will still find themselves frequently lowering the difficulty just to progress past mini-bosses and optional side quests. The goal is not so much to complete the new Act as it is to reach the new level cap of 70, upon which equipment becomes strong, enough to keep our newly-weakened protagonists in top fighting shape.

Each class received a new skill, further adding to the variety of gameplay and build types. This allows for significant replay value through fine-tuning every aspect of a player’s avatar. A new non-player character is introduced called the Mystic, who allows players to customize the aesthetics of their equipment, as well as alter specific stats on said equipment, adding further depth to the customization of every bit of the game.

Every zone in Act V is beautifully rendered. The point of view of the player leaves nothing to the imagination as each newly discovered area has a specific theme. Gamers will find themselves fending off demons from attacking citizens in the main town of Westmarch, as well as diving deep into the dark depths of the Pandemonium Fortress through waves of specters and reapers.

The Crusader, which is the newly added class to the game harks back to the days of Diablo II’s Paladin class. What sets this tank-like guardian apart from his fellow protagonists is his ability to wield two-handed weapons in one hand, allowing for massive offensive and defensive capabilities.

After completing the campaign, you may wonder what is left to do. Adventure Mode is unlocked upon beating the game, in which players can re-explore the entire over world of the game uninhibited. New events and endless dungeons await those daring enough to step through the rifts. and unending side quests yield amazing treasure to those who complete every bit of adventure mode.

Lastly, the game’s new score for the Act V is infinitely pleasing and immersive, giving each player a real sense of distress in the world upon starting the expansion up until the dread that follows entering death’s embrace.

Overall the expansion brings something new to the table in every aspect possible, and succeeds with each addition spectacularly. There is nearly infinite replay value, no matter what you are looking to get out of the game. Each class has limitless build options, provides the endless dungeon crawles that we have missed so much from “Diablo III.” The fight against death is far from over. Will you return to Sanctuary and confront the Fallen Angel?