Warney receives AP All-American honorable mention

(BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)
Jameel Warney was chosen by the Associated Press to receive an honorable mention in their All-America team selection. (BASIL JOHN / THE STATESMAN)

On Monday the Associated Press announced their All-America team selections, and Stony Brook’s Jameel Warney was one of the players chosen to receive an honorable mention. The sophomore forward led the America East conference in field goal percentage this season, and also helped his team reach the America East championship game.

The recognition came less than a week after Warney received another national award. On Thursday he was one of 30 student-athletes chosen by CollegeInsider.com as a Lou Henson Mid-Major All-American recipient.

Warney played in all of the Seawolves’ 34 games during the 2013-2014 season, and helped lead the team to a 23-11 record this season. He led the team in scoring and rebounding, averaged 14.5 points and grabbed eight boards a contest.

He also ranked seventh in the America East in points per game, third in the conference and rebounding, and first in the conference in field goal percentage.

Warney came to Stony Brook before the 2012-2013 season after playing four years of varsity basketball at Roselle Catholic High School in New Jersey.

In his first year with the Seawolves he took home the America East Rookie of the Year award, and was named to the second All-America East team. He was also given America East All-Defensive team honors.

This season he took home the America East Player of the Year award. Warney was just the fourth player in America East history to go from Rookie of the Year as freshman to Player of the Year as a sophomore.

Creighton’s Doug McDermott, Cincinnati’s Sean Kilpatrick, Louisville’s Russ Smith, Duke’s Jabari Parker and UConn’s Shabazz Napier received AP All-America first team honors. The Associated Press also picks second and third All-America squads of five. Warney was one of several players from across the country to receive an honorable mention.