Softball takes three of five in Charlotte

Curkov_Yoon_Seo_Nam_web
Allison Cukrov got her first win of the season at the 49er Invite, where the Seawolves won three of five games. (YOON SEO NAM/THE STATESMAN)

This past weekend, it was off to Charlotte, NC for the Seawolves and a chance to play in the 49er Invite, hosted by the Charlotte 49ers. The first game was nothing short of crazy, as Stony Brook played the host team in game one of what would be five over the course of the weekend.

Melissa Phelan’s two-run single to right field in the top of the ninth propelled the Seawolves to a 9-7 extra-inning win.

It started with a bang though, literally. Bria Green bombed one over the center field wall to put Stony Brook on the board in the top of the second. Phelan then doubled to left center and Kat Zabielski added a double down the left field line, scoring Phelan. Kellie Reynolds laced one up the middle and just like that, it was 3-0.

The 49ers would answer in the bottom of the third with a pair. Jessica Plemmons singled up the middle, scoring two 49ers, cutting Stony Brook’s lead to one.

Stony Brook would answer, putting up two in the top of the fourth and another in the top of the fifth to extend their lead to 6-2.

Charlotte, as they have throughout the game, would have an answer to the call. Chelsea Ingersoll would hit the latter of back-to-back doubles to start the bottom of the sixth, scoring Plemmons. A wild-pitch and RBI groundout later, the lead was cut from four to one with only one out in the inning.

Natalie Capone singled through the left side to tie the game and after a scoreless seventh, the game was headed for extras.

NCAA rules permit the use of the ninth batter of the inning to start the inning on second base.

Both teams would take advantage, as Stony Brook’s Olivia Mintun drove a sacrifice fly to left scoring Lund, who was their runner for the inning.

Charlotte would score their runner of an RBI single, but that was all and the game was headed for a ninth inning.

The Seawolves would take care of their runner in this inning. Phelan’s single scored Green and Borges to put them up. The 49ers would go three up, three down, as Alison Cukrov got her first win of the season.

The nightcap of day one was not nearly as eventful, and Stony Brook’s bats were held silent in a 5-0 loss to the Georgetown Hoyas.

Only Jessica Combs and Shayla Giosia were able to get hits against Georgetown pitcher Megan Hyson, who went seven strong, with seven strikeouts and only one walk.

Allison Cukrov had a very rough game, as opposed to her first in which she was flawless after replacing Sallen. She went 4 1/3 while letting up five runs and walking six batters.

Samantha Giovanniello hit a two-run double in the second to start the scoring and a wild pitch would make it 3-0 after the top of the second.

Gabriela Elvina would draw an RBI walk in the fourth, and Madeleine Giaquinto would drive the second two-run double of the game into the outfield to finish the scoring for the Hoyas.

Jane Sallen would take the hill in the opener on day two of the invite, and it is safe to say she pitched much better in this one than her first start the previous day.

She pitched six strong innings, only letting up one run. Over the course of these innings, however, the Seawolves were not able to push across any runs. This put their scoreless streak at 13 innings going back to the Georgetown game.

A little two-out rally, however would change that. Reynolds reached on a fielder’s choice, Mintun singled through the left side, and Combs was hit by a pitch to load the bases for Giosia. Down to the final strike, and with ice in her veins, she drove the 1-2 pitch to right center, clearing the bases with a triple and putting Stony Brook up 3-1.

Cukrov would come in for relief after Sallen let the first two runners of the inning on base. Cukrov would set them down in order, getting her and the Seawolves’ second win of the season.

Georgetown would then face the Seawolves again in the elimination part of the tournament, and would again silence the Seawolves’ bats. This time, completely. Starter Megan Hyson pitched a no-hitter, only letting two runners on when she hit Mintun and let Combs walk, in the first and seventh innings respectively.

Alexandria Anttila would drill a grand slam to left to put the Hoyas up 4-0 in the sixth inning, and two RBI singles in the seventh would ice the game for Georgetown, who got their second win over Stony Brook in as many days.

Stony Brook would then play Liberty in the third place game and it wasn’t even close. The Seawolves would jump out early, scoring six runs in the opening inning and would coast to the finish with an 11-2 victory with the game ending in five innings.

Mintun drove in three runs to lead the Seawolves. Phelan and Caruso each added 2 RBI’s as well to pace Stony Brook to a finishing 3-2 record in the tournament.