Seawolves bounce back at Drexel

(EFAL SAYED / THE STATESMAN)
The SBU Women’s Lacrosse team beat the Drexel Dragons 16-6, improving to 3-1 on the season. (EFAL SAYED / THE STATESMAN)

Coming off a loss at Notre Dame over the weekend, the Stony Brook Women’s Lacrosse team turned their attention to Philadelphia and the Drexel Dragons. They were more than ready, as freshmen accounted for half of the Seawolves’ goals in another rout, this time 16-6 at Vidas Field.

Stony Brook was led by Dorrien Van Dyke, as she netted six goals and added an assist, and Michelle Rubino scored four times in the victory effort.

The game started slowly, with only two goals in the game’s first 18 minutes. Rubino opened the scoring 1:17 into the game, netting the first of her goals for the Seawolves. The Dragons would answer 64 seconds later to tie, with Amanda Norcini scoring the first of two in the matinee contest.

After those first 18 minutes however, the floodgates would open and Stony Brook would start to run away, scoring nine goals in a row to finish the half.

Van Dyke would contribute to a lot of this run, as she scored four of the goals, including two of the last three at the 1:34 and :57 mark. Kelly Kuerner and Courtney Murphy scored their only goals of the game, two each, during the run and Rubino would add the ninth.

Drexel would attempt to come back in the second half, scoring three goals in the first 10 minutes. With Stony Brook also adding one during that time, the score would be 11-4 with 20 minutes to play.

The Seawolves finished the Dragons with a 5-0 run, with Van Dyke and Rubino each contributing two to the run.

Stony Brook improves to 3-1 on the season, with their only loss coming against then 15th-ranked Notre Dame by one last week. The Drexel Dragons suffered their first loss of the season with the game against the Seawolves.

Stony Brook takes the field against No. 7/5 Florida at Donald R. Dizney Stadium, where the Gators have amassed a 19-3 home record in the stadium’s two-year history.