Stony Brook students save dollars on low cost sex toys

(NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)
In addition to toys, costumes are a great way to spice up your love life. (NINA LIN / THE STATESMAN)

This Valentine’s Day, whether you are spending it alone or in the company of a significant other, rest assured that there will be a source of pleasure for everyone. Sex toys can be a way to keep things interesting during the semester, and now, with the unavoidable prospect of tests lurking in the near future, who couldn’t use something to spice up their free time during campus lifetime or a funny story to tell your friends over some bubble tea at Jasmine? Whatever the situation, a solid base of knowledge is a smart place to start; when it comes to sex toys, questions of price, type and public opinion come to mind.

A classic model explored by the women of “Sex and the City” is the Rabbit. When asked about vibrators like the Rabbit, a junior at Stony Brook claimed to not have much knowledge on the topic other than “Clean them, that makes sense because genitals.”

You do not need to be Carrie Bradshaw to appreciate their many functions, which include a rotating head, various vibrating functions and its namesake “rabbit ears” that stimulate the clitoris for increased pleasure. Not only are they great at serving their purpose, but they come in an array of cute colors, from pinks and purples to multicolored and a variety of materials ranging from rubber and silicon to ceramic. Since the Rabbit has been around so long its been replicated and perfected for a low price. Online it can be purchased for as cheap as $14.99 and models with more sophisticated features increase in price from there.

Another popular option is the well known Fleshlight, and yes, it is a pun on the word flashlight. The Fleshlight is a replica of either a pair of lips, a vagina or the ever-popular backdoor and is made of patented SuperSkin which is, apparently, as close to the real thing you can get and does not stretch out over time. As if that was not wonderful enough, it can be discreetly hidden and stored to appear as an ordinary flashlight one would use in emergency situations. They come in a variety of models, ranging from the classic collection to stamina trainers to different girls that serve as the inspiration for the product, really taking into account everyone’s interests. The basic model price starts at $48.71 and can reach up to $79.95 depending on the intricacies of the Fleshlights inner texture. If that’s not within your college student budget, imitations of the Fleshlight can be purchased for $7 through a simple Google search, but is it worth sacrificing the SuperSkin technology? I do not know, but it is good to know what is out there. For those who are not so sure if they would feel comfortable using one, Dylan Weinstein, a freshman, said, “It’s the same thing as a dildo, really and should be treated like that, and guys shouldn’t be ashamed if they do use one.” I say its time to start exploring this new fad.

For those who are less adventurous, there are always safer options that can be used to introduce a little fun into your intimate life. If you want to take steps toward bondage, a good place to start would be handcuffs. A set of fuzzy or metal handcuffs can be purchased at Spencer’s for under $15.00 each. Another option to help go the extra mile with blowjobs is the Comfortably Numb Deep Throat Spray. With two pumps of this minty spray, your throat and mouth will go slightly numb allowing you to go deeper. Online it can be purchased for $7.95 and also comes in the form of a gel or breath mint, but reviews claim the spray works best.

College is said to be a time of exploration of life and preferences, so why not start with one of these sex toys? Whether solo or with a partner it is bound to be worth the experience, especially at a minimal cost.