Seawolves fall 61-48 to Hartford

The Stony Brook Women’s Basketball team fell to 6-3 in conference play as the University of Hartford’s freshman guard Morgan Lumb scored a career-high 17 points. Lumb was one of three Hawks players who finished the game in double figures. Coming off a loss to Albany, the Seawolves were looking to recover quickly with a win against the Hawks who have an overall record of 9-13. The team fell 61-48 against Hartford on Super Bowl Sunday.

Although the Hawks shot 29 percent from the field, they shot 40 percent from the three-point line. In addition, the Hawks shot 92 percent from the free throw line. Hawks junior Amber Bepko went for a perfect 10-for-10 at the free throw line and scored a season-high 19 points. Freshman Alyssa Reaves rounded out the Hawks’ leading scorers with 10 points and propelled Hartford to a 11-6 lead with eight points in the first eight minutes of the game.

Meanwhile, the Seawolves were held to just one free throw attempt throughout the game. However, the Seawolves managed to win the battle on the boards, outrebounding the Hawks 48-38. Cherelle Moore who ended the game with nine rebounds led Hartford in rebounding.

While everything seamed to go right for the Hawks, the Seawolves struggled for points. Junior forward Sabre Proctor scored a team-high of 12 points and grabbed a team-high of 11 boards.

As the Seawolves are preparing for their next game against Binghamton, they are looking for a convincing win over the 4-18 Bearcats. The game will be on Feb. 5 at 7 p.m. in Stony Brook University’s Pritchard Gymnasium.