Seawolves fall to Yale on Senior Night

Stony Brook fell to Yale 3-1 Tuesday. It was Senior Night for the Seawolves as they honored Costello and Herc. Photo by Anusha Mookherjee / The Stateman

Kaitlin Costello had 14 kills and 15 digs while Hailee Herc had 11 digs on Senior Night for the Stony Brook Women’s Volleyball team. They fell to Yale 3-1 Tuesday night at Pritchard Gymnasium.

Sophomore captain Lo Hathaway did make history in the fourth set. She had her 13th dig of the night to pass Noelle Bay for the all-time single-season record at Stony Brook.

Hathaway finished the season fifth in school history in digs per set with 4.29. She is tied for seventh place with Stasia Nikas, who finished with a 4.25, which Hathaway achieved in 2011.

Stony Brook won the first set 25-19 with strong play from Costello, Kathy Fletcher and Stephanie McFadden.

Yale took an early 4-0 lead in the second set, but the Seawolves did tie it at six. A Costello kill tied the score at 14 later in the match, but the Bulldogs were too much and took the set 25-18.

Stony Brook went up 6-5 in the third set, but Yale scored the next five points to go up 10-5. Stony Brook cut the lead to three, but Yale went on an 8-4 run and took the set 25-15.

Another hot start by the Bulldogs propelled them to win the final match 25-15.

Hannah Dolan and Nicole Vogel had 16 assists apiece. Melissa Rigo had six kills and 10 digs in the loss. Kelly Johnson had a double-double with 12 kills and 16 digs, while Kendall Polan had a match-high 47 assists for Yale, as the improved to 20-4.

Both teams had four aces in the match.

Costello’s double-double was her team-best 16th of the season. McFadden ended the season third all-time and first on Stony Brook’s Division I history in blocks assists with 115.