Athletic Director Fiore leaving Stony Brook

Jim Fiore, Stony Brook Athletic Director (Right), leaves the university. (STATESMAN STOCK PHOTO)
Jim Fiore, Stony Brook Athletic Director (right), has had his contract bought out by the University. (STATESMAN STOCK PHOTO)

This article was updated on Nov. 22, 2013. 

Stony Brook Athletic Director Jim Fiore is leaving the university, according to a release from the school Tuesday night. The statement also related that Senior Associate Athletic Director Donna Woodruff will serve as the Interim Athletic Director as they look for a replacement.

Fiore has been bought out by the University. They will be paying his contractual salary of nearly $800,000 for next 31 months through June 30, 2016, according to an emailed statement from Fiore.

According to Fiore’s personal public relations representative Mike Conte, the buyout was not a mutual decision. Conte also says that Fiore has not been informed of any disciplinary action.

“I have had nearly 11 wonderful years at Stony Brook and I am incredibly proud for all of the experiences I have had in building the University and our emerging Division 1 program. Facilities have been modernized, recruiting has been professionalized, and prospective student-athletes now see Stony Brook as an enviable destination and the University’s brand is nationally recognized,” according to Fiore’s statement.

Fiore’s name has been removed from the athletic site, Goseawolves.org, and his Wikipedia page has been updated.

It comes at an odd time for Fiore to leave, as the men and women’s basketball teams just started their seasons. Rumors floated around previously about Fiore moving to a bigger school, like Rutgers University, but nothing came out of it.

He is credited with growing the program and has upgraded the facilities as well. Fiore upgraded Pritchard Gymnasium along with the University Track and University Tennis Courts. He also redid the baseball field and renamed it after Joe Nathan after receiving a donation from the All-Star closer.

Fiore was named Athletic Director on July 23, 2003, after previously holding the title of Senior Associate Director of Athletics at Princeton University.  He graduated from Long Beach High School and earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from Hofstra University, where he also played for the football team.

When asked about the matter, Lauren Sheprow responded with “It is University policy not to comment on personnel matters.”

Contributing Writer: Joe Galotti