Seawolves defeat Liberty 4-0

(EMILY MCTAVISH / THE STATESMAN)
The Stony Brook hockey team battles Liberty on the ice. (EMILY MCTAVISH / THE STATESMAN)

The Seawolves defeated Liberty 4-0 on Saturday night. Stony Brook saw goals from junior forward Ryan Cotcamp and senior forwards Dan Cassano and Nick Deresky. Cotcamp had two goals in the win.

Cotcamp got the Seawolves started with an early goal in the first period. Cassano was able to dangle a few defenseman to put the Seawolves up 2-0 in the second period. Deresky scored early in the third period to put Stony Brook up 3-0, before Cotcamp’s second goal of the night.

With the win, Stony Brook improved to 8-3 on the season and is tied with the University of Delaware for second place in the Eastern States Collegiate Hockey League. They trail the University of Rhode Island by two points, but have played three less games.

Sophomore goaltender Brendan Jones recorded his first shutout of the season. Next up for the Seawolves is a home game on Friday at 9 p.m. against the University of Rhode Island, for first place. They play the Rams again on Saturday at 8:30 p.m. at the Rinx as well.