Seawolves defeat Providence, will be No. 4 seed in tournament

The Seawolves clinched a No. 4 seed in the AE Tournament. Photo by Anusha Mookherjee

The Seawolves defeated Providence 3-1 Sunday to get back into the America East Tournament. Stony Brook took the first set 25-19, fell 23-25 in the second set, and then won the third and fourth set, 25-19 and 25-22.

Taylor Gillie led Stony Brook with 12 kills and had five blocks for the Seawolves, who improved to 16-16 on the season and 9-5 in conference play. Stephanie McFadden had 10 kills and match-high eight stuffs, to go along with a .471 attack percentage. Gillie registered a .476 attack percentage.

Nicole Vogel had her first double-double of the season with a team-high 20 assists and 11 digs. Hannah Dolan had 17 assists for the Seawolves. Lo Hathaway led the team with 21 digs, with Kaitlin Costello tallying 10 kills and Kathy Fletcher had 14 digs in the win.

The Seawolves led by as many as five in the first frame, but Providence got it within two at 18-16. Fletcher had back-to-back aces to put the Seawolves up four. They then scored five of the next eight points for the 25-19 win.

Stony Brook fell 13-11 midway through the second match and was able to tie it at 13.  The Seawolves went up one, 22-21, but the Friars went on a 3-0 run before taking the second match 25-23.

Stony Brook trailed 14-13 in the third match, but they scored the next six points, with back-to-back aces by Costello to go up five. A kill by Gillie sealed the third match for the Seawolves.

The Seawolves had an 8-2 run to take an 18-10 lead in the fourth match. Providence had a run and got within one to bring it to 23-22, but the Seawolves came away with the win after two Friar miscues.

Vogel had 20 assists and Dolan had 17 assists in the victory. Stony Brook led in aces, 9-5 and blocks, 14-5. Rigo had four kills, eight digs and four blocks in the win.

Hathaway passed Elka Samuels for fifth on the Stony Brook single-season digs list with 518. Samuels had 510 in 1997.

The win kept the Seawolves perfect all-time against Providence with a 9-0 record.

With the victory, Stony Brook finishes tied for third with Albany in the America East and will be the No. 4 seed in the tournament. Stony Brook fell to Albany in both matches this season, giving the Great Danes the tiebreaker.

Stony Brook will take on top-seeded New Hampshire in the America East semifinals Friday at 7 p.m. in Durham, N.H.