Seawolves defeat Westchester University for fifth consecutive win

The Seawolves improved to 10-2-1 on the season with the victories against Westchester University.
The Seawolves improved to 10-2-1 on the season with the victories against Westchester University. Photo by Mike Daniello

The Seawolves have won five straight games after defeating Westchester University on Friday and Saturday night. Stony Brook won the first game 6-3 and then took the second 3-2 in overtime to improve to 10-2-1 on the season.

Seawolf forward Ryan Cotcamp scored the first of his three goals at the two-minute mark in the first period. Stony Brook added two more goals in the second period to go up 3-0. Cotcamp added his second goal on the power play and defenseman Alex Miller scored from the point. Stony Brook went goal for goal in the third period, as Stony Brook put the game away at 6-3.

On Saturday night, Westchester went up 2-0 in the second period, but the Seawolves were able to come away with the victory. Assistant captain Chris Joseph cut the lead in half with a goal, before Vinny Lopes tied the game. Lopes scored on a give-and-go pass from Captain Dan Cassano, forcing the game into overtime. Stony Brook scored the winning goal with 45 seconds left, when Nick Deresky scored off of rebound shot from Cassano.

Stony Brook will return home Saturday to take on Rutgers University at The Rinx in Hauppauge.