Pink takes over Stony Brook for breast cancer awareness month

(YOON SEO NAM / THE STATESMAN)
The Stony Brook football team shows their support for breast cancer awareness by wearing pink on their feet. (YOON SEO NAM / THE STATESMAN)

October always conjures thoughts of costumes and candy, yet something much more important goes to the backs of many people’s minds: pink. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the Stony Brook community has shown that they will not let this pressing issue be forgotten.

During the football game on Oct. 26 and during homecoming on Oct. 5, our university’s team boasted pink socks to raise awareness of breast cancer. “I found it surprising that they would do something like that,” Elyssa Britt said, a freshman majoring in chemistry, “but also really sweet.”

The Smith Haven Mall had their annual “Paint the Mall Pink” event on Oct. 24 in acknowledgement of October. Health and wellness seminars were expected, but particularly of note was the Fashion Walk of Hope show, with breast cancer survivors and nurses from Mather Hospital modeling the newest lines from such as LOFT, Express and Express Men. “I didn’t know about the event, I just happened to be there, but it was fun and informative,” Stephanie Ng, a junior majoring in biochemistry, said. “Seeing the breast cancer survivors and nurses model the clothes, though, was just so cool.”

The Stony Brook University Cancer Center is offering many events to honor survivors and patients, raise funds and raise awareness about prevention and treatment. They are offering educational exhibits to promote awareness. They are participating in the Pink Glove Dance Video Competition, with the winners getting to choose which breast cancer charity receives the $10000, $5000 and $2000 cash prizes. The Walk for Beauty was held on Oct. 14 to raise funds for breast cancer research at Stony Brook University. Pink hair extensions were sold at the University Hospital and at the Student Activities Center on campus. On Oct. 18, the Fall Fashion Festival was held with a cancer fundraiser dinner, basket auction and fashion show.

The University Cancer Center is also working with many outside businesses within the nearby cities, such as Satya Yoga & Pilates in Mount Sinai. Cara Mia in Sound Beach are holding “Pizza for a Cure,” in which $1 will be donated for every pizza sold. Legend Hair Designs in Stony Brook Village and Arame Hair Salon in Port Jefferson offers “Cut for a Cure.” All proceeds for haircuts are going to go the Stony Brook University Hospital to support cancer patients.

October may be almost over but breast cancer remains a huge concern. The Stony Brook community hopes to use this one month out of the year to make some very permanent changes, so take advantage of these last few days. Get a slice of pizza, go get a haircut, wear pink and be proud!