Maysonet heading back to New York, signs with Jets practice squad

(KENNETH HO / THE STATESMAN)
Miguel Maysonet has signed with the Jets practice squad after jumping from team to team over the last several months. (KENNETH HO / THE STATESMAN)

Miguel Maysonet is on his way back to New York. The former Seawolf signed on to the New York Jets practice squad yesterday. It is Maysonet’s fifth team since going undrafted in the 2013 NFL Draft in April.

Maysonet was on his way to work out with the Cincinnati Bengals, but received a call from the Jets, who had room to bring him onto the practice squad. He initially went to the Philadelphia Eagles after the draft, but was around for less than a month. He then signed on with the Cleveland Brows in May, but was released after spending training camp with the team.

Maysonet spent the preseason with the Browns rushing for 30 yards on 13 carries. He also had 14 yards receiving on three catches. Maysonet then made the Indianapolis Colts, but was released 10 days later. The San Diego Chargers then picked him up, but cut him 10 days later.

After a season-ending injury to running back Mike Goodson, the Jets’ depth chart at running back is pretty weak. Bilal Powell is the number one running back, in front of Chris Ivory and Alex Green.

Maysonet finished his college career as one of the top FCS running backs and was also a Walter Payton Award runner up in 2012. He was also named CFPA All-Purpose Player of the Year along with Big South Offensive Player of the Year. He ran for 1,964 yards and 21 touchdowns for the Seawolves in 2012.