Fashion for the fall looks to colors, flannel, layers and more

(JIA YAO / THE STATESMAN)
Layering is a great way to transition from fall to summer. (JIA YAO / THE STATESMAN)

As summer quickly comes to a close, and we reflect on how it is possible that it is already ending, we welcome those familiar autumn favorites. That is right: ‘tis the season of magic color-changing leaves, textbooks, illuminated pumpkins and colder weather. With the temperature slowly dropping (and rising and then dropping again), it is time for a wardrobe update. Whether you are in the know about style, or are looking to jump onto the fashionable bandwagon, here are some of this fall’s trends.

When first looking for trends for a specific season, look to the colors. This autumn, keep an eye out for earthy colors, specifically colors that reflect those on the leaves. Two very popular colors have been cobalt and moss green. The latter has been seen mostly on pants and oversized, military-style jackets.

Another color to keep an eye on is the winter white trend. Remember that rule “no white after Labor Day?” Well, that seems to be over because winter white is a very popular color, seen on the runway at New York Fashion Week. If solids are too boring for you, prints are always in. The question is just what prints? Classic prints, for example houndstooth and the traditional plaid (a fall staple), have been seen on the runway at New York Fashion Week. Another classic print seen recently is leopard, but in more eccentric ways. This pattern is being shown in different colors and designs this fall.

The nineties called, and it wants its flannel back. With the revival of the “teen spirit” trend from two decades ago, clothes like button downs, beanies, rock band shirts and shoes like Doc Martens and combat boots are returning. This is also seen in the aforementioned moss green looks. Make sure to have some extra angst and rebellion while sporting this look.

“I think that a lot of people are going hipster,” Kimberly Shievdayal, a sophomore majoring in health science, said.

This season, accessories to look out for are those that make you feel warm and cozy. Knit hats and scarves are very popular. Infinity scarves, the scarves that you loop around your neck, are the latest trend in neckwear. For jewelry, it is all about rings and chunky necklaces.

Layering will always be a fall favorite. It is also a great way to transition from the summer to the fall. Now is the time for jackets and cardigans. Wear your tank tops under a cardigan. Put a jacket over your sundress.

“Yes I do [layer], to keep me warm,” Hazel Nderitu, a freshman majoring in psychology, said.

Once the cold weather official sticks, it is probable that most college students will turn to much more comfortable options.

“Sweaters, scarves, leggings, anything cozy,” Krysten Massa, a junior majoring in journalism, said. Being comfortable is also great for the following months that involve the biggest “foodie” holidays. You may want to slip on those leggings and huge sweaters after all that candy in October and turkey in November.

Guys, do not think that fall fashion does not pertain to you. “It’s a good season for jackets, of wool and leather variety. Belts also. Jeans are always in style as are leather shoes. Sneakers, not too much in the fall because its cold sometimes,” Collin Richardson, a freshman majoring in music, said.

Make sure to try out some of these trends this upcoming season. You can either be trendy or comfy while sipping on that autumn favorite, the Pumpkin Spice Latte. For more information, log onto Glamour.com or collegefashion.net. Also, check out magazines such as Vogue for extra fashion insights.