Androids and iPhones both have their followers

(MCT CAMPUS) photo is iPhone 5s but story is about 5c
The new iPhone 5s has recently been announced by Apple. (MCT CAMPUS)

The epic showdown between Apple’s iOS system and Google’s Android wages on after a tiresome yet heated battle.

The HTC Dream burst onto the scene in October 2008 sporting the first version of the Android operating system and not quite being able to contend with the iPhone and its already sizable install base. Google and Motorola teamed up to provided a necessary reinforcement with the Motorola Droid, a device that had the iPhone squarely in its crosshairs. Through the last five years we have seen the Android operating system evolve and flourish into a fit alternative to the iPhone’s beloved iOS for many individuals. The major conflict that has spawned resides in those tiny icons adorning the background screen.

With the announcement of the new more affordable Apple iPhone 5C and the incremental upgrade of the base model 5 to the 5S on the horizon, it is impossible not to expect a flood of new apps spawning in the coming months. Apps, as they are labeled by both providers, are designed to please the consumer in a way that is forthright and directly links to the contentedness of the user. This is precisely why many Android users stare with envy at shiny Apple hardware seen around the nation in the hands of iOS owners.

In terms of addicting and refined game experiences Apple takes the crown.  The hotly anticipated “Plants vs Zombies 2” as well as franchises such as the “Real Racing” series and the “Infinity Blade” trilogy provide reasons for casual and hardcore gamers alike to flock towards the latest Apple offering.  The Apple App Store also undoubtedly attracts developers.  Powerful developer Zynga who has toiled over such hits as “Words with Friends” and “Draw Something 2,”  undoubtedly prefers the iOS App Store. “Farmville,” the wildly popular backyard simulator, is Zynga’s biggest cash cow claiming $1 billion dollars in player transaction alone as of February 2013.  Its sequel “Farmville 2” as of that date has racked up a whopping 40 million active monthly users.  The “Farmville” series is stunningly nowhere to be found on Android devices and remains exclusive to Apple’s vast App Store. Zynga chose iOS and so do many business minded game companies simply for the reason that the App Store is where the money is.

Interestingly enough, the Google Play store has balanced the odds and racked up 10 percent more app downloads in comparison to the Apple App Store. However, Apple still appeals more towards the developer.  Apple’s App Store gains 2.3 times more total revenue than the Google Play store and its the money that developers gravitate toward.

A wide variety of app offerings exist outside the realm of games.  Apps that allow you to find the best place near you to grab a bite to eat are placed on the same playing field with apps that allow for an interactive periodic table.  This form of offerings seems to be nearly identical on the two dominant mobile platforms.  Google has baked in a plethora of apps aimed at the everyday mobile user and so has Apple.  To the average mobile user, there is virtually no difference in function. Both phones possess music players and have internet access.  So is it safe to assume that the majority of Android users who are not enamored with mobile gaming are completely content?

Sophomore engineering major Andrew Rossin described his overall content impression with the Galaxy s4 he gripped in his palm.  “I really like it.  I’ve had no reason to want an iPhone other than this one app. The Adventure Time Beemo app is only on iPhone and it annoys me.”

Freshman biology major Shyam Bhatt explained his appreciation for the Android platform.  Bhatt clenched an HTC EVO 3d in his hand.  When asked if he ever felt any envy of the iPhone user he spoke about his satisfaction with the Android operating system. “I love my Android. My contract ends in December and I’m probably sticking with Android or maybe switching to Windows.  I really don’t like iPhones to be honest.”  When pressed with the question of why he elaborated, “I’m not a huge fan of the platform and also for what they’re priced you can get much better products.  That’s for Apple in general not just iPhones.”  The final question was if Bhatt had ever seen an example of an app that was not available on the Google Play store.  “Most are available. I haven’t really come across any that aren’t,” Bhatt said.  Overall the pros seem to outweigh the cons in the minds of Android buyers and jealousy of the illustrious iPhone is kept to a bare minimum.