Seawolves fall to Drexel 2-0

The Seawolves fell to 1-2-0 on the season after losing to Drexel 2-0 on Sunday. It was the Dragons first win of the season.

(MEHMET TEMEL / THE STATESMAN)
The Seawolves fell to 1-2-0 after falling to Drexel 2-0 on Sunday. (MEHMET TEMEL / THE STATESMAN)

The Dragons scored early on and was able to keep the Seawolves off the board for the whole game. Drexel scored in the eighth minute, as Marty Brennan scored from the right side, 30 yards out. It hit the far post and bounced in for the Dragons.

Drexel kept the Seawolves scoreless for the rest of the game, and scored in the final seconds of the match. Seawolf goaltender Jason Orban tried to clear the ball to set up one last opportunity, but Drexel’s Nathan Page got the ball and scored.

The Seawolves did have chances, as senior Shane Wixted was given a free kick, but the ball went over the bar. Senior Will Casey had a header shot, but was stopped by Drexel goaltender Tyler Afferbach.

The Dragons outshot the Seawolves 15-13 overall and 5-4 in shots on goal. The four shots on goal for Stony Brook were taken by Wixted, Casey, junior Keith McKenna and sophomore Martin Giordano. Drexel did have 11 corner kicks, to Stony Brook’s one.

This was the first time Stony Brook has faced Drexel since 2001, back when both teams were in the America East Conference. Freshman Jeffrey Medina played 26 minutes in his collegiate debut. This was the first time Stony Brook was shut out in back-to-back match since October 7 and 12, 2011.

The Seawolves next two games will be at home; hosting Rhode Island Friday at 7 p.m. and Villanova Sunday 2 p.m.