Two late goals give SBU the 3-1 win over Siena

(JESUS PICHARDO / THE STATESMAN)
The Seawolves defeated Siena 3-1 on Sunday with the help of two late goals. (JESUS PICHARDO / THE STATESMAN)

The Seawolves netted two goals in the final 20 minutes of the game on Sunday to defeat Siena 3-1. Sophomore Danielle Fuller and freshmen Leah Yurko and Lindsay Hutchinson all scored their first collegiate goals in the win.

Stony Brook opened up the scoring with a goal by Fuller, off a cross by sophomore Stella Norman. The Saints tied the game at 55:59 when Brittany Pfaff scored off of a long pass and got it by junior Ashley Castanio.

The Seawolves went up for good in the 73rd minute when Yurko headed in a pass from senior Ahriel Fernandez. Stony Brook added an insurance goal just over four minutes later when Hutchinson headed in a pass from freshman Hannah Groth from the left wing.

The 28 shots Stony Brook attempted were a season high and outshot the Saints 28-14. Senior Larissa Nysch led all players with eight shots on goal.

Castanio made seven saves to pick up her fourth win of the season. Nine different Seawolves have scored at least one goal this season. Norman and Nysch have points in three of the teams’ first four games at home.

With the win, the Seawolves improve to 4-1-1 on the season, and became the first team in the America East to defeat Siena this season. The Saints had beaten Binghamton and UMass-Lowell earlier this season.

Stony Brook has outscored its opponents by a 7-0 margin after the 65th minute of play this season.

Stony Brook will host Wagner on Thursday at 7 p.m. before traveling to Colorado for the Omni Hotels Colorado Women’s Soccer Classic.