Summer entertainment 2013: film, television and music

Daft Punk's last album was in 2010 (MCT Campus)
Daft Punk’s last album was in 2010 (MCT Campus)

Everyone looks forward to the summertime. Even if you are working a summer job or partaking in classes, there is something liberating about those few months in which the sun hangs high. It is times like this that many new pieces of entertainment are released for our pleasure, but sometimes there can be a bit too much to choose from. So, I have singled out some of the more standout options that will soon be available.

Summer is always packed with movies; it seems as though a new blockbuster coming out nearly every weekend, and this year is no different. This summer starts strong with a new telling of “The Great Gatsby” starring Leonardo DiCaprio. It is based off the famous novel, and it seems director Baz Luhrmann is trying to incorporate a more steampunk based look to mix things up a bit. While the film has not sold me yet, it definitely looks to be a good counterpoint to all the action.

Speaking of action, this summer is not holding anything back. After last year’s huge summer, which included “The Avengers” and “The Dark Knight Rises,” summer 2013 has a lot to live up to. “Star Trek Into Darkness” seems to be a good way to start, as the J.J. Abrams sequel seems to take everything from the first film and expand it. Most of the buzz from this film comes from the casting of Benedict Cumberbatch as the mysterious villain, but if the trailers have demonstrated anything, it is that this film has a lot to show.

The film that looks poised to be this summer’s biggest movie, though, is Zack Snyder’s “Man of Steel.” With all the superhero movies lately, it is surprising it has taken this long for Superman to return, but with the casting of Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon and Russell Crowe, I think the wait has been worth it. More important, though, is the rumor that this film is apparently the setup for the eventual Justice League movie, much like what happened with Marvel and the first Iron Man.

Stony Brook students recently had the chance to met Max Brooks, who wrote “World War Z,” and soon you can see that book’s film adaptation as well. The film stars Brad Pitt and follows his family and his journey to survive as the world starts to end. While there is a lot of excitement for this movie, the film also faced years of backstage problems during production, so be wary.

Following its one movie a year routine, Pixar is taking viewers behind the closet door again with “Monster University,” a prequel to “Monsters Inc.” The entire original cast is set to return and the film looks beautiful. Pixar, which has been consistent in terms of quality content, is sure to make this a film that will be fun for everyone.

In my personal opinion, though, this summer’s most interesting movie looks to be Guillermo Del Toro’s “Pacific Rim”. The film is basically every eight-year old boy’s dream of giant robots fighting giant monsters, and it looks visually stunning. Del Toro is the type of director who only releases a film every few years, so expectations are high. If none of these films interest you, this summer will also feature a variety of sequels to other established franchises such as: “Fast and Furious 6,” “The Hangover Part 3,” “The Wolverine,” “Despicable Me 2,” “300: Rise of an Empire” and “Red 2.”

As far as television goes, two of the biggest shows on cable right now, Showtime’s “Dexter” and AMC’s “Breaking Bad”, will be concluding this summer. Season seven of “Dexter” and the first half of “Breaking Bad’s” fifth season ended with big twists, and as these shows resume in the coming months, it will not only be exciting to see how the shows will pick up, but also how the stories of Dexter, Debra, Walter and Jesse will conclude.

Other shows returning this summer are “The Newsroom” and “True Blood.” Both of these shows have enjoyed critical acclaim in the past, so a high level of entertainment should be expected. Still, with both shows premiering around the beginning of July it is a bit unsettling that so little information has been officially released about the newest seasons.

This summer also marks the return of the cult favorite, “Arrested Development,” for a Netflix exclusive fourth season. It has been seven long years since we’ve seen the Bluth family, but the Netflix exclusivity might alienate a few fans. Still, the exclusivity is counterbalanced by having the entire new season streamed at the same time when it premieres on May 26.

In the music world, arguably the biggest album release of the summer is also right around the corner. On May 20, the newest Daft Punk album, “RAM,” releases and promises to continue the disco-meets-techno sound that the group is known for. Early reviews are already praising the album, and the duo’s single “Get Lucky” is available now as a taste of what’s to come.

Rock bands Queens of the Stone Age and Black Sabbath both see new album releases in June, titled “…Like Clockwork” and “13.” Both bands seem to have intentions of returning to their origins with these new albums, and preview clips can be found online now for you to make that call.

“Born Sinner,” J. Cole’s second full-length album for Jay-Z’s Roc Nation, releases at the end of June. With the fact that J. Cole has not released anything since 2011, and that this record has faced multiple release delays, there is some cause for concern. Still, the album’s first single, “Power Trip” currently sits at 21 on Billboard’s Top 100, so there is reason to be excited for Cole’s musical return.

Companies are well aware of the amount of money they make during the summer months, so there is something out there for everyone. Film, television and music are some of the most popular forms of entertainment. With so many hot releases this summer, you should start preparing plans with friends and family.