Maysonet is not drafted, signs with Philadelphia Eagles

Maysonet (5) rushed for 1,964 yards at SBU this past season and was a finalist for the Walter Payton award. (FRANK POSILLICO/ THE STATESMAN)

Miguel Maysonet was not drafted, but he will be going to the NFL.

The 5-foot-10, 210 pound running back signed with the Philadelphia Eagles shortly after the conclusion of the draft.

“It still hasn’t hit me yet, I think I’ll feel that I’m really an Eagle when I get there in the facilities,” Maysonet said. “When I didn’t see my name called, it was a little disappointing, but five minutes later, the disappointment went away, I got the phone call from Philly.”

Maysonet said that he got calls from half of the teams in the league.

While his bid to be the first player from Stony Brook to be drafted fell short, he will have a chance

to make it to Philadelphia out of training camp to become the first player from the university to play in the NFL.

“I spoke to my agent, and they were the best team, the best fit for me,” Maysonet said. “I just want to compete and try to earn a spot.”

Philadelphia currently has three running backs listed on its roster, LeSean McCoy, Bryce Brown and Chris Polk. McCoy, who has two 1,000 rushing-yard seasons, is the first-string. Brown rushed for 564 yards last year as McCoy’s back-up, and Polk has yet to see any game action.

“They have another great running back there already,” Maysonet said of McCoy. “Hopefully, we can be that one-two punch they need.”

In addition to Maysonet, Stony Brook also saw wide receiver Kevin Norrell sign with the Buffalo Bills, according to his Twitter account.

“The funny thing is, the Bills were calling me throughout the draft too, it would have been cool if we both went to the Bills,” Maysonet said. “Me and Kevin are opening doors.”

After transferring from Hofstra, Maysonet emerged as one of the top running backs at the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision level for Stony Brook. In his three years for Stony Brook, he rushed for 4,725 yards and scored 48 touchdowns.

This season, he rushed for 1,964 yards, the 11th-highest total in FCS history. He was a finalist for the Walter Payton award as the outstanding player in the FCS, losing out to Old Dominion’s Taylor Heinicke.