The After Party sweeps USG spring elections

Adil Hussain from The After Party presents his platform at the USG debate on Tuesday, April 2.  Hussain will be USG president for the 2-13-2014 academic year. (YOON SEO NAM / THE STATESMAN)
Adil Hussain from The After Party presents his platform at the USG debate on Tuesday, April 2. Hussain will be USG president for the 2013-2014 academic year. (YOON SEO NAM / THE STATESMAN)

The Undergraduate Student Government election results came in last night with The After Party boasting victories in all but one category.

Adil Hussain, who also ran for USG president last spring, came out as the winner and beat current USG president Anna Lubitz.  Hussain carried 1,260 votes, while Lubitz had 569 and Yiufat Lam had 333.

However,  many undergraduate students did not log into SOLAR to vote between Monday, April 8 and Friday, April 12, which is when voting occurred.  Although the presidential race garnered the most votes with a total of 2,162 students participating, there are more than 16,000 undergraduate students at SBU.

In addition, students also voted to increase the Student Activity Fee.  The proposed increase was $5.25, raising the total fee to $99.50 per semester.

“I think we should accept the recommended amount, to provide further funding for the increased clubs we have on campus,” Senator Kathryn Michaud said at the senate meeting on March 28.  “I believe the $5 per student increase would benefit the campus community.”

At Thursday’s senate meeting, an amendment was passed to extend the budget timeline of USG by a week in order to know if the Student Activity Fee would be passed.